New Owner of a 6wk old rescue GSD. Need help!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Sabis mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

New Owner of a 6wk old rescue GSD. Need help!!

I have this new puppy that kind of fell into my lap. It was a situation of someone take him (and his 5 letter mates) or they will be euthanized. I believe all were taken and spared. He is about 6wks old. Everything that I am reading on line is that its to soon to be away from the litter, that he will have behavioral problems as an adult. Is this true? I would like to crate train him but all he does, when put in it at night, is cry and howl. I sleep on the couch to be near him and to try and calm him down. Not sure what to do. Also, I take him out every 30mins to 1hour to potty. We are outside walking around for about 20-30 mins and he doesn't always go but when we come back into the house he will pee. Am I doing something wrong? I need some help! Any advise will greatly be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

As you said, it couldn't be helped. If you raise him right, he should turn out fine. I would suggest getting a Snuggle Puppy toy to go in his crate. It comes with heat packs and a "heart" that beats like a puppy's. If you can't get one, you could try a hot water bottle and an ticking clock. For the walking and then peeing inside, it could be the walks are too long or too fast. If he is on leash, try to use a longer line like 15 ft. Walk slower and let him sniff around. When you take him back inside, well, maybe just turn around and take him back out, then he may go. Or put him in his crate, wait a minute and take him outside. For the crate training, it is normal for the puppy to bark at first. I would suggest after the puppy's walk and potty, to play with him a bit, then put him in his crate with a toy and a treat. Close the door of the room and no matter how much he howls do not go back in there until the time is up. Do 15 minutes the first time. But do not go back in the room to let him out until his is quiet. Then you can go in and let him out. He most likely will go to sleep after a good howl. The first time is the hardest, then it gets easier. For night, have the crate next to your bed if possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2017 View Post
I have this new puppy that kind of fell into my lap. It was a situation of someone take him (and his 5 letter mates) or they will be euthanized. I believe all were taken and spared. He is about 6wks old. Everything that I am reading on line is that its to soon to be away from the litter, that he will have behavioral problems as an adult. Is this true? I would like to crate train him but all he does, when put in it at night, is cry and howl. I sleep on the couch to be near him and to try and calm him down. Not sure what to do. Also, I take him out every 30mins to 1hour to potty. We are outside walking around for about 20-30 mins and he doesn't always go but when we come back into the house he will pee. Am I doing something wrong? I need some help! Any advise will greatly be appreciated!
As long as he isn't hurting himself put him in his crate and leave him there. DON'T open the door while he is fussing. They learn that quickly and you will never shut him up.
Potty training, morning open the crate and carry him outside. Carry him. Stay outside until he pees, inside for breakfast and then right back outside. Inside to play 15-20 minutes max and back outside. Lather rinse repeat. Unless he is sleeping 20 minutes is a good start between potty breaks. If you can't keep your eyes on him, crate him.
Don't walk him when you take him out, just let him sniff and wander. If there is a spot you want him to use for a bathroom, take him there. If he relieves himself outside it's a potty party, best puppy ever. Make sure he knows he is the greatest puppy ever. If he messes in the house clean it up and move on, it's your bad not his. Watch for circling, sniffing or hesitating. Carry him to the door if he does any of these. At that point he won't make it in time on his own. It will be a few weeks before he has any real control, but you need to show him what you want. By 7-8 weeks he should have a good grasp on things and will start signaling.
Also make sure he is eating at least 3 times a day, no free feeding. No food or water before bedtime. I take water up at least 2 hours before bed.
Mary Beth, carmspack, Aly and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 06:50 AM

Good tips here. I have fine newspaper and puppy pads training when slow learner continues to pee inside. But ur dog is only 6 weeks so no way he cannot yet know how to. Good tip also balancing with food and water so accidents dont occur so often. Take away carpets also, If peeid just one time to carpet, its carbage then.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Elite Member

I brought home my latest puppy at not quite 7 weeks. No flaming as this breeder has done this for years..his suggestion was to hand feed Gunny all his meals. Really helped with bonding. The. Started using the food as a lure to teach manners behaviors and tricks. Goo to. Leerburg.com and read and watch all the free info. There are singleton puppies all the time that are fine as adults. Don't fall into the trap of thinking your pup must have conrptact with other dogs, unless you know of super super super save older dogs or a puppy close to his size and age for play dates. You want the little guy to bond to you and look to you for all that is good in life. When Gunny came home, and I knew just like an infant all his needs were met, or I was taking him out for a planned out of crate time, he leaned very quickly I only walked toward him if he was quiet. Didn't take long. Out on a lead, I was a quiet turning pole. And as said earlier, party when he went. And puppy's often pee more than once each time out. When redirecting for nipping, take the time to play with your pup with It's toy. Safe special toys or chewing things when I. The crate. Super high value treats for training. Tiny pencil eraser sized pieces, even for adults. You can do this. Never think any question is to dumb to ask. The only dumb question is the one not asked.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 02:23 PM

Out of curiosity, was this litter in Bakersfield, CA? If so I think I have one of his litter mates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page