Training period/guidelines - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Training period/guidelines

I was wondering if there is a general timeframe in which a dog should learn certain things.

For example:
6-8 weeks its name, marker, sit and down. 8-10 weeks heel, place etc.
10-12 weeks climb etc.

And also, in what order should one teach what commands and how long or how many repititions does it take to inderstand a command? How do you know if you are done with teaching one and starting another?

Do you teach 1x action untill he/she gets it before you move on or do you teach more than one action on the same day?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 06:14 PM

There's no time frame.It's easiest to teach one thing at a time,then practice in different places.When your puppy can focus on you no matter where you are and whatever distractions are going on,you know they have thoroughly learned it.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:01 PM
Crowned Member

It all depends on you, the puppy and your training methods.

If I"m teaching something new then I only do a session with that. But I might do other sessions with things they already know to either advance it or maintain it.

You know you can move on when the dog is doing it quickly and repetitively. Keep your sessions short. 5 minutes for a puppy or something new. And dogs learn on their downtime. So let them be alone for a bit after a training session. Put them in a crate and let them chill for a bit.
dogma13 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:18 PM
Crowned Member

It totally depends on the dog/pup. I once had a foster Aussie of 10 weeks old and taught her the basics in one afternoon on command, using the clicker. I wondered what her new owner was going to teach her the next twelve years. She was an exception though.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

There is no time frame and no order - with a a small puppy keep things short and interesting and fun. Don't let them get bored and training finishes on a bad note... stop training whilst they are still enjoying it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

I usually do 5 min sessions 3x a day.
She is eager to learn and has a high drive for treats and really enjoys everything.

She knows her name, her marker, sit, down and come. Initially I started with 1x type of command and did that command for a week, even though she got it sooner. Then I moved on to another command and did the same. I am now mixing commands so she needs to listen to what command she needs to perform instead of just repeating the same thing over and over again for a treat.

During the other time she plays A LOT with my Jack Russel pup and they both have a lot of energy and keep each other busy. We also play some fetch and tug.

Im busy bringing in the leash to get her used to it and to give in to the leash. I have a Halti as well and want to introduce it to her learning later on when the time is right.

Ultimately, I want to train her as a sniffing/tracking dog.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 09:46 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustav.vanderwal View Post
I was wondering if there is a general timeframe in which a dog should learn certain things.

For example:
6-8 weeks its name, marker, sit and down. 8-10 weeks heel, place etc.
10-12 weeks climb etc.

And also, in what order should one teach what commands and how long or how many repititions does it take to inderstand a command? How do you know if you are done with teaching one and starting another?

Do you teach 1x action untill he/she gets it before you move on or do you teach more than one action on the same day?

Here is my pup at 4 months old to give you an idea, he also knew wait, touch, ring the bells to go out potty and spot. We kept training sessions relatively short but frequent. Maybe 5 minutes 10 times a day.
dogbyte and tim_s_adams like this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 12:32 PM
Crowned Member

I don't understand the "I do 3 training sessions a day". That would be at the most working for 30 minutes with your pup. What about all the other times besides naps and night's sleep? Training is ongoing and should be integrated in their day. Actually every time you and your puppy are together one of you is training the other.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I don't understand the "I do 3 training sessions a day". That would be at the most working for 30 minutes with your pup. What about all the other times besides naps and night's sleep? Training is ongoing and should be integrated in their day. Actually every time you and your puppy are together one of you is training the other.
That is actually a really good point I forgot to mention in my post. We did more formal "training sessions" to teach silly tricks like bang bang and paw. But we also practiced Nothing In Life Is Free. Before we went out the door he had to sit and wait. Before he was allowed to eat his food he had to lay down and stay. When we walked on the leash I rewarded for proper heeling and not pulling. I would put each of his meals for the day into a treat pouch and wore it all day except when we were sleeping. He was always being "taught" something and rewarded for good behavior to enforce the things we wanted to see more of out of him. We rarely used actual treats but instead always worked with his food kibble.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I realise that now. Lucky she is still 10 weeks so I can up those numbers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page