Help with Training TWO pups - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Help with Training TWO pups

We have raised GSD pups in the past but never two (brothers) at once and I'm really worried about training. They're 11 weeks old, never been apart, and we brought them home 6 days ago. Because of the holiday, there were lots of people and other dogs visiting. The boys were showered with attention and we had zero time to work on establishing house rules. Today, they have been introduced to their crate and seem to like it just fine UNTIL I take one outside and away. The one left behind goes nuts. The one I have outside with me, is not relaxed enough to even play with a toy with me.

Should I separate their crates? Keep them out of sight of one another? Do I need to break their bond in order to establish our dominance?

Thanks -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:53 PM
Crowned Member

This older thread has some suggestions:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post2334528

These artciles discuss your concern on separation and training:

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/choosi...-puppies.shtml

https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...e_16190-1.html

Raising Two Puppies Together | Animal Behavior College Blog

https://keepthetailwagging.com/a-few...rmate-puppies/

http://www.dogsfurdays.org/wp-conten...og-Journal.pdf
voodoolamb and Mudypoz like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

You are in for a lot of work if you want to raise them in a way that you can have a relationship with each dog individually so that each dog can live without the other one in sight, smell, hearing distance. Being a GSD, each dog needs a lot of one-on-one work with you. Please read the above articles mentioned by Mary Beth.
The following idea is meant respectfully: you only have had them for a week. How about keeping one and return the other one to the breeder to save yourself a ton of work and possibly stress? I really realize that this can be a heartbreaking thing to do. Another issue that can come up later is same sex aggression in siblings when they hit adolescence.
angelas, tc68, voodoolamb and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:13 PM
Elite Member

Raising two puppies together is a bad idea. Bonding issues between the dogs and people, separation anxiety, and oh god the same sex aggression between 2 males you will face as they reach maturity. Seriously consider rehoming one now while it is still young and cute...

Otherwise... you will need separate training sessions. Separate potty breaks. Separate play times. Separate bonding/chill time. Lots of crating and rotating.

Also... Why so concerned with "establishing dominance"!?!?! Pick up some modern dog books please. Dominance theory training has been thoroughly debunked. At 11 weeks you should be more concerned with bonding, imprinting desired behaviors, and setting a solid foundation...
angelas, Muskeg, wolfy dog and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

Why did you bring two home? I mean, was this a decision you made at the breeders or do you have a need for two puppies?
voodoolamb likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Knighted Member

The first trainer I ever went to put it like this. If you have two young dogs you better be able to give each dog the only dog experience. As stated above separate walks, training, potty breaks, socialization. The dogs have to be more bonded with you than with each other. This is a lot of work but it is possible. I have a 2 1/2 yr old, a. 19 month old and a 17 month old or something close to that. I spend more time with my dogs than I do people most of the time. To do it and do it right you have to make dogs a lifestyle, not just a pet.
But I want dogs I can take places, do sport with, dogs that listen. If you just want dogs that never leave the house, remedially listen, depend on each other for entertainment and worth than maybe less time would be required.
Mudypoz and tim_s_adams like this.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:59 AM

I agree with what @cdwoodcox said. Littermates/two puppies same age are a lot of work, but it is possible to be successful. Mine are male/female, 7 months old. Can't speak to the same sex, but I understand that will be harder at adolescence.

I think separating the crates is a good idea, but personally, we (my husband and I) didn't do that. One of us took one out to the bathroom, while the other one stayed in with the other one. Some whining from one at the beginning, but that eventually subsided. Keep separating them and eventually, they'll get used to it, at least from my short experience.

At the beginning, my husband would take one for a walk while I stayed in and trained the other, and then we switched. By the time they were 4/5 months old, I could train them together and still do. Teach one a trick/command, treat, then the other one. They've gotten used to waiting their turn, amazingly. But I do suggest, at this age, separating them quite a bit to help bond with you.

It is possible to raise two at a time, but I will tell you personally it has been very trying on my patience, health, emotions, you name it. To do it right, it takes a lot of sacrifices. I'm still making those sacrifices. If you're dedicated to them, you can do it and be successful. Good luck!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 02:10 AM
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum mate! So you decided to bring home sibling males...why? And this is not a rhetorical question, I'm seriously interested in hearing your reasoning behind that decision. It's doable, but unless you're seriously committed, you will be overwhelmed by the issues that go along with raising these boys...

It is important, as others have said to train and walk and house them separately...and yes, you will have some separation whining to deal with, but it's essential that you do it anyway and soon. It does get better, but kennelling them in different parts of your house is an important first step. It's okay for them to play together, but for limited time each day. The point, as others have said is to sort of break their bond with each other, while they build a bond with you and your family. If they spend much time together each day this won't happen, and you'll miss an important developmental opportunity with them. Good Luck whatever you decide!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

I would suspect that the puppy left behind in the crate would be crying if he were an only puppy and you locked him up and walked away. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I have successfully raised two same age puppies on multiple occasions, I don't do back flips or anything special. I rarely provide the only dog experience, and they all have turned out just fine without any unusual bonding or other issues. I have never experienced "Litter Mate Syndrome" in that respect.

I also find raising two puppies together to be much easier than raising one. There are other members here on this forum that have found the same. Sorry but I can't find that thread.

What I would advise against is raising two same age, same sex puppies. Be prepared for a lifetime of crate and rotate when they hit around two years of age.
Muskeg likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenocrate View Post
We have raised GSD pups in the past but never two (brothers) at once and I'm really worried about training. They're 11 weeks old, never been apart, and we brought them home 6 days ago. Because of the holiday, there were lots of people and other dogs visiting. The boys were showered with attention and we had zero time to work on establishing house rules. Today, they have been introduced to their crate and seem to like it just fine UNTIL I take one outside and away. The one left behind goes nuts. The one I have outside with me, is not relaxed enough to even play with a toy with me.

Should I separate their crates? Keep them out of sight of one another? Do I need to break their bond in order to establish our dominance?

Thanks -
The one you have with you does feel secure away from their sibling. Each pup needs to build a bond with you as well as be comfortable without the presence of the other. Build a bond based on trust not dominance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page