another house breaking/crate training thread - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

another house breaking/crate training thread

I have a 13 week old puppy that came into our family last week (6 days ago). I've successfully trained a few other dogs in my life, but it has been a while since I've had a puppy. Our puppy soiled a spot in our home on the first day and I thoroughly cleaned the spot with an enzymatic cleaner . I pay particular attention to the puppy and quickly take her outside if she looks like she is ready to go potty. I always take her to the door, say "go pee", ring the bell with her nose gently that is hanging from the door, take her out and lavish her with praise/treat when she executes a pee outside. As I said it has only been a week but I expected her to occasionally go to the door or in the area of the door when she needs to go, but she continues to go back to the spot in the house she initially soiled on day one without ever indicating that she needs to go by going to the door. I've read a lot about how smart these dogs are so maybe my expectations are too high for her only being here 6 days. She almost always produces when I take her outside. Over night she is getting better about relaxing in the crate and if she makes a whimper I will take her out and she does her business. I restrict her water food by 6 pm and she is down for the night by 10:30 or so. I had hoped that by restricting her water/food early she would not need to take too many overnight trips out to potty but last night she needed to go out every 2.5 hrs or so. I'm sure some training guru's will be along to tell me what I'm doing wrong, so I look forward to suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

At 13 weeks she should be good all night, easily. So first thing is get her to a vet.

Once medical issues have been ruled out, take her water away a few hours before bed and get her on a schedule. If you don't have eyes on her, crate her. Outside after she eats, drinks, plays and immediately upon waking.

There are any number of house training threads here.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:17 PM
Master Member

If you want to train her to ring a bell to go potty I would suggest shaping it. Look into shaping training online, get some books, ect... It is easy to pick up and dogs enjoy it when its done right.

I know you mentioned in a previous post that she has Giardia. Expectations for an ill puppy should be lowered. Imagine when you are under the weather. Do you want to have to learn how to do something new? Probably not. Let her get healthy before you start to stress about stuff. Be consistent and keep her on a schedule. If she is returning to the same spot she had an accident then there is likely some lingering odor. Soak it again with the enzymatic cleaner and block access. Don't give her free run of the house, keep her with you or confine her when you can't watch her.

Don't have expectations, you will, as you have already found out, be disappointed when they aren't met. Instead set up a goal you'd like to reach and plan out how you and her can achieve it together.
dogma13, GypsyGhost and Shepdad like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
If you want to train her to ring a bell to go potty I would suggest shaping it. Look into shaping training online, get some books, ect... It is easy to pick up and dogs enjoy it when its done right.

I know you mentioned in a previous post that she has Giardia. Expectations for an ill puppy should be lowered. Imagine when you are under the weather. Do you want to have to learn how to do something new? Probably not. Let her get healthy before you start to stress about stuff. Be consistent and keep her on a schedule. If she is returning to the same spot she had an accident then there is likely some lingering odor. Soak it again with the enzymatic cleaner and block access. Don't give her free run of the house, keep her with you or confine her when you can't watch her.

Don't have expectations, you will, as you have already found out, be disappointed when they aren't met. Instead set up a goal you'd like to reach and plan out how you and her can achieve it together.

solid advice
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:50 PM

I gave my dog treats when she would do her business outside. Before long she learned to stand at the door to signal me that she needed to go out. There was praise and reward for going out. It worked.

Zelda born 7/6/17

At the bridge; forever in my heart
Brandy rescued Labrador
Oreo rescued Border Collie
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:25 AM
Master Member

My puppy is almost 15wks. I've had her since 8.5wks. She's JUST finally starting to make a whimper/ cry when she has to go, but only sometimes. She still has an accident here and there. Your pup should be able to hold it, but still needs to learn your schedule. My pup started to hold it better around 14wks

My schedule for night is water/ food up at 9pm, take her out at 11 to drain and go to bed, out at 3am, and up at 7am

Daytime schedule was in crate for an hr, out to potty, inside for some play and training for 20mins or until she started to sniff, back to crate

For the going in the same spot, might just happen. Mine has accidents in 2 spots despite me using 2 different cleaners each time. I think once your puppy is older and knows you only potty outside, you'll be fine. For now, expect it in that spot

It will take a bit of time, but stay vigilant
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:05 PM

All great advice above. We arenít using a bell system but our pup goes to the door, looks at the handle and looks back at us and starts whining. I think we got lucky as he started doing this at about 3 months old. He is 4.5 months old now and hasnít had an accident in over 5 weeks. We understand he is still quite young and we are not out of the woods yet.
What helped us is sticking to a strict schedule. Before Ghost came home with us, I made out a schedule for what a typical day should look like and we kept as close to it as possible. Remember to take puppy out after every change of activity (eating, playing, sleeping). We used small training treats with Ghost when he first came home every time he went outside.
Iíd try soaking the area again with the cleaner. Lord knows we went through a couple bottles of Natureís Miracle when Ghost first came home and when he had his UTI. Keep consistent and donít get discouraged. Your pup is sick, just transitioned to a new environment, and is still young.
Joys likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:30 PM
Elite Member

Don't feel discouraged, 6 days isn't a very long time, you'll get there. Keep a close watch on her when she is loose in the house. If she needs to potty she might start sniffing, circling, whining, ect. If you know she's attracted to a certain spot, and you see her headed in that direction, scoop her up and take her outside. I might even block off that area, if it is possible. Take her outside frequently, about every 1-2 hours and after playing, waking up for a nap, after eating. If you take her outside, and she doesn't go, put her in the crate for 15 more minutes, then try again. Never let her out of your sight when you're in the house (unless she's crated). You could even put her on a tether to keep her with you.

You're probably doing all these things, just keep at it. You'll be fine as long as you're consistent. Some dogs just take a little longer.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

Seriously I don't understand the issue here.

If your puppy messes in the house, you made a mistake.
Puppies do not get left unattended, loose in a house. Crate or eyes on at all times. It shouldn't take weeks to house train a puppy, and you are stressing yourself out allowing it to.

Food and water are restricted at night, morning comes you take the puppy out of it's crate and carry it outside. In your pj's and slippers. Once puppy has relieved itself you praise, praise, praise. Best puppy ever! Then inside, food and water, and coffee. Then back outside. Puppy pees and poops and you praise, praise, praise. Then inside, play for 10 minutes, back outside. This is not rocket science. Eyes on the puppy at all times or it is in it's crate. Don't let it have an accident in the house and pretty soon it will know to go outside.
I do not understand the bell thing? Why complicate the issue.

I have a 7 year old dog that I brought home at 3 weeks, she was house trained by 5 weeks. BUT I carried her from where we were to outside because little teeny legs could not cover the distance fast enough. She has not had an accident in the house since 4 weeks. She was sleeping 6 hours through the night at 8 weeks. But you need to be on top of it. It's a week or so of pain for long term gain.
dogfaeries, Bramble and dogma13 like this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:43 AM

know what I use when i clean up urine messes on carpet? salt. put it on, soak up pee let it dry and vacuum away. no smell, no stain left behind and it actually works. I didn't think it would when i was told about it but boy was i wrong! Now i use that on any urine accidents!
Mary Beth likes this.

Katanya-Black/tan German Shepherd- August 8, 2008
Isi-Liver and Tan Bloodhound- Jan 18, 2018
Ayers Legends Heaven's Last Dance -Tallulah- -German Shepherd-Feb 19, 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page