Perfect Dog training collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Perfect Dog training collar

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Perfect Dog training collar? My brother is using one on the brother to my puppy and it seems to be working with him. It sounds like a prong collar to me and I don't want to hurt Xena but when she starts that biting and jumping up and biting at my arm and biting my legs I don't know what to do to get her to stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon67155 View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Perfect Dog training collar? My brother is using one on the brother to my puppy and it seems to be working with him. It sounds like a prong collar to me and I don't want to hurt Xena but when she starts that biting and jumping up and biting at my arm and biting my legs I don't know what to do to get her to stop.
How old is she?
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Both of our puppies are about 3 1/2 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Both of our puppies are about 3 1/2 months old.
Don't do a prong or a perfect dog collar yet. Just be patient and keep working with her.
Neither of my dogs were too bitey as puppies. I did a lot of walking and expelling energy with them. When they started to get tired, I used a crate. Puppies need naps too.
Maybe I'm not like everyone else. But I never get down on their level to play. I've always stood up, and utilized toys and tugs and balls. Also, treat luring (spins, around the legs, back up/forward).

Snitches get stitches.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

See our puppies were taken too early from mom and haven't learned to control their bite. And they both are very stubborn; mother was belegin shepherd and very stubborn. My brother's dog doesn't mind his wife--bites and nips at her. My puppy bites and nips at my 82 yr old mom. She bites me too. I don't want to hurt her; I've been told that I need to "show her" who is "boss"; you know what I mean I'm sure and I don't want to do; afraid it'll make her mean and aggressive.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
See our puppies were taken too early from mom and haven't learned to control their bite. And they both are very stubborn; mother was belegin shepherd and very stubborn. My brother's dog doesn't mind his wife--bites and nips at her. My puppy bites and nips at my 82 yr old mom. She bites me too. I don't want to hurt her; I've been told that I need to "show her" who is "boss"; you know what I mean I'm sure and I don't want to do; afraid it'll make her mean and aggressive.
There's nothing wrong with correcting a puppy. I feel a prong is too much of a correction.
Now, I've got a 3 year old daughter. I really limit puppy and kid time. When my daughter is playing, puppy is in the crate, or tethered, or baby gated away.
I don't want my puppy getting too excited or being a landshark with her.
My puppy is about 8 mos old, and starting to show a little maturity. So I'll start allowing more freedom.
It really takes time and patience. You already are the boss. No need to get tough. Just work on controlling your puppies excitement and showing her how you want her to act.

Snitches get stitches.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:54 PM
Banned

As was said a "Prong Collar" is simply just not the right too for this crap! So try again, this maybe helpful.:

And gee it seems that I am apparently, not alone in the Bonker thing, who knew???

But yet another option besides the ones Larry outlined is a hands on approach, I'd just grab the lower jaw and squeeze down a bit and not let go! Yeah razor sharp teeth and it kinda hurts but my puppies did not bite while they did continue to chomp on my "Redirecting, Squeal Like a Piggy and Back Turning" wife fro a bit longer. But they did not chomp on me so whatever.

And there is also a more hands of approach, the "Pet Convincer." :
Pet Convincer.com

It's a noise and a blast of Air! Just say"NO" as it were and let them have it, if no compliance. Aim for the shoulder and avoid the eyes and ears! It's a Bicycle Air Pump and it's a lot cheaper at your local Bicycle Repair shop if you don't already have one???
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 01:11 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Take this for what it is worth, I have had 1 dog, experience limited. My pup was taken from his mother at 7 weeks. I tend to think this contributed to him being an extreme land shark. What works for one person may not work for another. My husband could make a fist the pup would try to bite it and he would say no bite and the pup would stop. Only a couple times was he on the receiving end of biting fueled zoomies.

I on the other hand struggled. We always had the puppy on leash in the home while holding it and always separated the pup from our children via crate or expen. They did have supervised play only when the pup had the appropriate energy level. You should do the same with your mother, meaning restrict access to her from the puppy. Make sure your puppy is getting a good amount of exercise they have tons of energy. They need to run and explore in safe places.

I had a rule. No one interacts with the puppy unless you have a toy. Have a couple toys the minute the pup bites redirect to the toy and play with your puppy with the toy. You can't watch the puppy or play with the puppy, it's crated.

The other thing I did after much research was bite inhibition. People told me alpha role the puppy, show the puppy who is boss. Worst advice imo for my experience.
So using what I knew about my puppies energy I chose times and I let my puppy bite me. Over the course of several months the force of biting and amount of biting become less to none and it was a bonding and learning experience for us. At 9 months my pup is very respectful with his mouth and knows it can cause pain. If he accidentally gets anyone during play he is very sorry will lay at your feet or kiss your hand.

There is no need for conflict. Your puppy is not stubborn it is doing what it was born to do. It is your job to teach the puppy.
Between redirection to toys and bite inhibition my problem was solved it took time, consistency, patience and educating myself.

There is a bite inhibition sticky in the puppy section and search the internet using common sense come up with a plan that can work for you. Also the other advice in this thread is good to.

This is just my experience, which is very limited, but it is what worked for me, with out conflict.

There are also many things you can do with training treats to overtime teach your puppy to take food gently from your hand.

It takes time some longer than others.

HTH
graciesmom and tim_s_adams like this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 01:20 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
And gee it seems that I am apparently, not alone in the Bonker thing, who knew???

But yet another option besides the ones Larry outlined is a hands on approach, I'd just grab the lower jaw and squeeze down a bit and not let go! Yeah razor sharp teeth and it kinda hurts but my puppies did not bite while they did continue to chomp on my "Redirecting, Squeal Like a Piggy and Back Turning" wife fro a bit longer. But they did not chomp on me so whatever.

Pet Convincer.com

It's a noise and a blast of Air! Just say"NO" as it were and let them have it, if no compliance. Aim for the shoulder and avoid the eyes and ears! It's a Bicycle Air Pump and it's a lot cheaper at your local Bicycle Repair shop if you don't already have one???
I'm glad you posted that. I've heard that redirecting was best, and tried it, and to me, seemed like a REWARD for biting. So I stopped and went to the "NO!" and a hard whack on the side and play or petting stops

And guess what, she is nipping at me less and less. My wife gets more nips because her correction isn't hard enough and pup thinks she's playing
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 01:56 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post

Pet Convincer.com

I'm glad you posted that. I've heard that redirecting was best, and tried it, and to me, seemed like a REWARD for biting. So I stopped and went to the "NO!" and a hard whack on the side and play or petting stops

And guess what, she is nipping at me less and less. My wife gets more nips because her correction isn't hard enough and pup thinks she's playing
You are wacking your puppy hard? I would stop doing that immediately.

Keep that up and you?re gonna have a fearful puppy who doesn?t trust his owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page