Sit on Dog & Place Command - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Sit on Dog & Place Command

Anyone have an idea when I can effectively teach Sit on Dog and Place commands to a puppy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:54 PM

Lure with a treat, praise when your pup does what you want. repeat only a few times, 3 or 4, then let the pup go play. Younger pups aren't going to stay long unless they are sleepy.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 06:58 PM
Knighted Member

Sure...yesterday It's never too early to begin, provided your expectations are age appropriate! Sit on the dog is actually the opposite of training. Just go somewhere and sit with your dog without any real interaction. Place is easily taught using your dog's bed, or other favorite spot in the house.
az_girl likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Our pup is 9 weeks old, so I didn't know if it was too early to try these techniques or if I should wait a few weeks? And yes, SO true about the littles not staying long unless sleepy!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:34 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I started doing mat training with Halo when she was 5 months old. I could have started sooner, (although I was working on a lot of other stuff with her too), I began training it when I did because it was going to be covered in her class the following week anyway. It probably would have taken a bit longer for her to catch on if she had been younger, for several reasons - short attention span, and less prior training at that point. Training teaches specific skills, but it also teaches dogs to learn, so the more basic foundation stuff a dog has from a young age, the easier it will be for them to pick up new skills later on.

Here is a thread where I go through the steps I used with Halo: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ng-settle.html

Because she was already 5 months old, loved to learn and was very easily motivated, she was going to the mat and laying down on it within the first 10 minute session. From there, I worked on duration, remaining on the mat until released to get off it, and also moving the mat to various other places for our training sessions, to generalize the mat as a portable chill spot.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_girl View Post
Our pup is 9 weeks old, so I didn't know if it was too early to try these techniques or if I should wait a few weeks?
I do a lot of capturing at that age, where I don't ask for anything in particular, I just mark and reward (click/treat, or use a verbal marker - "yes!") whenever puppy does something I like and want to encourage. I also lure positions like sit, stand, and down with a treat, and use a treat lure for getting the puppy to walk next to me.

I like to get the puppy to do something, THEN name it rather than say "sit" and the puppy just stands there and looks at me because it has no idea what that word means yet.
car2ner, az_girl and Ava&Phoenix like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_girl View Post
Our pup is 9 weeks old, so I didn't know if it was too early to try these techniques or if I should wait a few weeks? And yes, SO true about the littles not staying long unless sleepy!!
Well, I suppose it's time to backpeddal a bit then! At 9 wks your puppy hasn't had all of his or her shots, so it's best to keep them away from areas frequented by other dogs (I've lost a puppy to parvo, trust me when I say you don't want to risk that!). I would recommend checking with your vet regarding the prevalence of parvo and distemper in your specific area before venturing out with an unvaccinated puppy! And even if it's rare, it's probably best to find areas to "sit" that are not likely to be frequented by other dogs, like business complexes and the like. Also, 9 wk old puppies don't yet have an attention span that would allow them to place for any amount of time. So I'd recommend using another word, if you want to formalize it at all, so that you don't confuse the puppy later when he's more able to stay when directed!
az_girl likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Well, I suppose it's time to backpeddal a bit then! At 9 wks your puppy hasn't had all of his or her shots, so it's best to keep them away from areas frequented by other dogs (I've lost a puppy to parvo, trust me when I say you don't want to risk that!). I would recommend checking with your vet regarding the prevalence of parvo and distemper in your specific area before venturing out with an unvaccinated puppy! And even if it's rare, it's probably best to find areas to "sit" that are not likely to be frequented by other dogs, like business complexes and the like. Also, 9 wk old puppies don't yet have an attention span that would allow them to place for any amount of time. So I'd recommend using another word, if you want to formalize it at all, so that you don't confuse the puppy later when he's more able to stay when directed!
We live in a HIGH parvo county, so puppy is quarantined to our house and small (and fenced) backyard. We definitely don't want to risk it!! I was thinking of the Sit on Dog in the house with kids and cats running about. But it sounds like I am too early here and will wait a few more weeks before starting that. Seems like weeks 8-12 are all about survival, sleep and potty training (with some informal commands thrown in here and there)!
car2ner likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I do a lot of capturing at that age, where I don't ask for anything in particular, I just mark and reward (click/treat, or use a verbal marker - "yes!") whenever puppy does something I like and want to encourage. I also lure positions like sit, stand, and down with a treat, and use a treat lure for getting the puppy to walk next to me.

I like to get the puppy to do something, THEN name it rather than say "sit" and the puppy just stands there and looks at me because it has no idea what that word means yet.
I am using the clicker a lot, but maybe I need to NOT name things first. Usually I say something like, Mila, Sit. She sits and I click then I see GOOD SIT!!! But obviously the more difficult commands (pretty much everything besides their name and sit) I definitely click for and then say GOOD ____(insert command here).

She seems to really respond to the clicker, so I am excited that that may work well for us as she continues to learn!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
...moving the mat to various other places for our training sessions, to generalize the mat as a portable chill spot.
I wanted to emphasize this from my earlier post - dogs don't generalize as well as humans do, they tend to learn in more specific ways. So one thing I made a point of doing with Halo when she was young was to work on each new skill in a different place each day. So if I did our training session in the family room one day, the next day I worked on those same skills in the living room the following day. And then the bedroom, the office, the kitchen, the garage, and outside in the dog run.

You want your puppy to understand that "sit", for example, means not just to sit in front of you, toe to toe, but also at your side, or across the room from you (distance commands), when you're sitting on the floor or a chair, or laying on the couch, or are in the car, or at the vet's office or out taking a walk. I worked on training down from a sit and also from a stand, and sit from a down as well as a stand position.

To us, these things - sit and down, mean just one thing - plop your butt or your entire body on the floor/ground no matter where you are or what you're doing, but to a dog, "sit" at your side is completely different than sit facing you. Try standing on a chair, does your dog still know what the sit command means? If not, you need to work more on generalizing the command to as many different situations and places as you can.

Once Halo was old enough to go out and about, we trained at every strip mall in town, and in all the pet supply stores. We trained outside the bowling alley, in front of the supermarket with automatic doors opening and closing and people walking by with carts. We trained on busy street corners, next to gas station driveways with cars going in and out, and next to basketball courts and baseball fields while kids were practicing.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page