Best Book for training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ldes77

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Best Book for training

Greetings all!

Ms. Xena had a great check up today at the vet; but he said he wouldn't send her to training until next month after last round of shots. Okay so between now and then I am committed to start heavily training her to sit, come and at least not jump up on people. I have tried to watch videos but it's not working for me. I need a good book to read with step by step instructions. She is still wanting to bite my clothes but tonight I stood completely still and she got bored and find something else to do. Holding her muzzle, and even biting her (my niece did that not me) hasn't worked. I'm old school so I need a book lol. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

I would recommend The Art of Raising a Puppy by the Monks of New Skete and all the books by Turid Rugaas.

These older threads have some suggestions:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ning-book.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ppy-owner.html

And this older threads discusses what books to avoid:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...book-rant.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:24 PM

I second the Art of Raising a Puppy. Great book.

Also check out:
- How to be your dogs best friend
- The other end of the leash

There’s also some good books on clicker training (I liked the Karen Pryor one). We also read a couple on military working dogs which I found interesting (listened to them on audible)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

I would not suggest The Art of Raising a Puppy for basic training. It focuses on raising a litter from whelping until they go home. Also, monastery life is not something most of us can provide. How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend might be better for training. I have it, I am not sure if it is one of the better books. Again, they are a little old school.

I suggest you read a few different trainer/behaviorists books to give you a general impression, and then make up your mind on what will work best for you and your dog. Having a trainer/dog training classes will help has well, as they can see how you are doing with your dog, and what your dog is like and make good suggestions of what might work best for you.

Raising puppies should be fun. Training puppies should be fun. Everyone has different goals for their puppy as an adult. There is a book, Outwitting Dogs that I liked.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Master Member

What videos have you watched? The issue may be the video, not everyone is good at explaining the little things that can make a big difference.

This may be a good video for you to start with. I've heard it covers a lot of the basics and is a good starter video for new owners/trainers.
Raising Your Puppy with Michael Ellis

For books umm a lot depends on your training method.

Control Unleashed The Puppy Program by Leslie McDevitt covers all the basic behaviors and contains a lot of information.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 AM

When I was first learning to train a puppy, I enjoyed "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller. It's a very simple, straightforward explanation of operant conditioning/marker training with easy to follow explanations on how to train your puppy basic commands. Great for beginners.
Good luck with your puppy!!
wolfy dog likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

I've tried to watch a couple of Michael Ellis videos on YouTube and I fell asleep and I never found videos that address specific issues I'm having with Xena. But we are still working on it and having fun.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 11:49 PM
Master Member

I started with the The Dog Vinci Code. It has some puppy training stuff in it. I used a number of things from It and months later I got to see It working. It got me going in the right direction trust, bonding and patience. It has not been possible to find 1 really good resource. This site has been one of the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page