Do Puppies Learn Bad Behavior from Other Puppies? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Do Puppies Learn Bad Behavior from Other Puppies?

The context is this:

I have two 6-month-old puppies who are house-trained. We're living with a roommate and her 4 dogs, one of which is a 4-month-old Golden Retriever. The retriever is having accidents in the house all the time. Sometimes my puppies see the accident, go and sniff it, and then just walk away, no big deal. Sometimes they'll see it and look at me like, "what is this? Aren't we supposed to do this outside?" LOL

Anyway, this has been happening for a while, and it seems my puppies don't think this is something they can do too. They're still going outside and not having accidents inside.

My question is: do puppies learn bad behavior from other puppies, like maybe kids would learn bad behavior from their friends? Would my puppies start having accidents in the house because they see that some other dog has gone in the house, so it must be OK? Or do they not learn those behaviors in that way like humans do?

Dumb question, but I'm just curious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:52 AM

As dogs mature,especially intact dogs,it's instinctual for them to mark over another dog's urine.Other habits and behaviors can be learned from interaction and observation but there are many that are 'pre programmed'.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:21 PM
Knighted Member

I would be afraid that even if it wasn't an intact male. A dog could smell where another dog had gone before and instinctively think it must be OK.
Maybe you could help to potty train the young golden so it isn't an issue.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Or move
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 01:16 PM

I suppose it is possible for your dogs to think potty accidents mean they can go in he house also, but in my experience they normally don't.
We have been puppy raisers for a guide dog school for 12 years (getting our 13th puppy next weekend) some pups have been easier than others to house train, but none of my older already house trained dogs have ever thought about going in the house were the puppy went, even my intact dogs. They don't mark in the house at all not even when my senior dog who sometimes has trouble holding his bladder goes in the house.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! My male and female are, for the moment, intact. But we are going to get them fixed in the next month or two (I know that sparks another debate on neutering/spaying, but this is what we think is best for our situation). So hopefully, like @JessicaR mentioned, mine won't mark in the house either.

And @wolfy dog, I wish we COULD move. Unfortunately, we are in a situation where we're stuck for the moment. It's a long story... We're trying to make the best of it. We will eventually move into our own house though

@cdwoodcox, that is something I've thought about, helping train the golden. But even though we're in the same house, we all kinda keep different schedules so I find the accident when I'm not around to catch it. The roommate's not the best at housetraining to say the least LOL. But great suggestion. Maybe for the sake of mind I should try and help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page