Biting leash in the house - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Biting leash in the house

We just brought home a new pup who is 10 weeks old. She is very high energy and very determined to get her own way. I am trying to keep her leashed to me in the house when not in her crate but she gets mad and chews the leash because she can't run around ( and chase our other dog and our cats). Everything I've read online about preventing leash chewing says to introduce the leash slowly, but I can't do that while trying to control her in the house. Any tips or suggestions for preventing the leash chewing?

Melissa

Iris vom Oldenburg -- 12/26/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Master Member

Does your other dog have a crate? I think I would try different things until I found what worked. I think it depends on what your are doing. If you are say just doing dishes, then your probably asking to much of a little puppy. I would have the puppy tired if I wanted it to sit near me doing nothing. If I am doing house work walking around and I could keep the pup entertained and get my work done that is what I would do until I could not then the pup would be crated.

To name a few ideas:

1. crate the other dog and hide the cat and play with the puppy and/or let the puppy explore some
2. Remove the leash from the pups mouth and replace with another appropriate chew toy
3. crate the puppy when you can not engage with the puppy
4. Bitter apple spray on the leash

She is still very little. I never leashed my puppy to me but did use the leash in the home. If I couldn't be hands on then puppy was crated. HTH
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

To me, it sounds like the OP is engaging in "battle" they don't have to fight??? If they just got the puppy they bring them home and tether them to them selves??? Most likely that is the first time the puppy has ever seen a leash??? So "Bam" hey here's a new toy????

I'd think an EX-Pen would be a better option to keep the little one from under foot for a bit??? I have tethered a "Dog" to me for 24 hours straight, but that was a different situation.

It's a puppy so I'd be pretty sure he's be familiar with this situation.:
https://www.chewy.com/frisco-dog-exe...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Baby steps for well, a baby as it were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Sorry it took me a while to respond. Yes, we are using an x-pen also. The leash is for times outside of the x-pen when I want to interact with her but don't want her running off to chase the cats or our other GSD (who loves that game, btw). She is starting to get used to the leash now. I just have to feed her a steady stream of treats while teaching her to leave it. I'm also teaching her basic obedience at the same time, so she is focusing on me instead of the leash. As soon as the treats are gone, though, her mouth is on the leash.

Ruger, our other dog, does not have a crate right now. We are using his for the puppy because he has not needed his crate since he was 8 months old. If I need to separate them I can put him in my bedroom and close the door.

The cats are harder to round up and stash away.

Anyway, I think things are improving. She is still headstrong but she has discovered a love for treats and that I am a good source for those. They are even better than chasing kitties.

Melissa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybee1999 View Post
Sorry it took me a while to respond. Yes, we are using an x-pen also. The leash is for times outside of the x-pen when I want to interact with her but don't want her running off to chase the cats or our other GSD (who loves that game, btw). She is starting to get used to the leash now. I just have to feed her a steady stream of treats while teaching her to leave it. I'm also teaching her basic obedience at the same time, so she is focusing on me instead of the leash. As soon as the treats are gone, though, her mouth is on the leash.

Ruger, our other dog, does not have a crate right now. We are using his for the puppy because he has not needed his crate since he was 8 months old. If I need to separate them I can put him in my bedroom and close the door.

The cats are harder to round up and stash away.

Anyway, I think things are improving. She is still headstrong but she has discovered a love for treats and that I am a good source for those. They are even better than chasing kitties.
Oh cats huh?? Good luck rounding them cat's up. That's not an approach I typically take uh ever.

But you're on the right track the puppy does not chase the cats ever! I'm not a fan of the treats and distraction thing myself but whatever. Our most recent Cat/Dog thread is here.:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-our-cats.html

There are a couple of dogs in there with "serious" cat issues that need to be properly addressed by there owner's first but the majority of dogs are "Cat Annoyer's."

But for your leash biting issues, perhaps the simplest solution would be a light weight small dog chain leash??? I'd would imagine that would not be enjoyable to chomp down on???
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
But for your leash biting issues, perhaps the simplest solution would be a light weight small dog chain leash??? I'd would imagine that would not be enjoyable to chomp down on???
To be honest I don't think it would deter her. She happily chews on the metal legs of my microwave cart, the handle of my roasting pan, and the clips of her x-pen on the rare occasions she is able to get at them. First puppy I've ever had that enjoys chewing metal objects...

Melissa

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybee1999 View Post
To be honest I don't think it would deter her. She happily chews on the metal legs of my microwave cart, the handle of my roasting pan, and the clips of her x-pen on the rare occasions she is able to get at them. First puppy I've ever had that enjoys chewing metal objects...
Uh oh, I'm running out of "non direct options" the "Pet Convincer" is starting to seem like a viable Plan B???

Still a lightweight metal leash and soak it with "Bitter Apple" that should work????
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:58 PM

Im having the same problem. I found that using bitter apple spray hasn't worked on objects around the house, But ill try soaking the leash in it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Master Member

Have you taught her the word NO!(or LEAVE IT!) yet? If so snatch the leash and tell her NO! keep an eye on her for a couple of mins. She'll try again. When she does, pull it away before she gets it and tell her NO! if she avoids it and looks to you reward her (praise too) and she'll get the idea pretty quick. Be consistent tho.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegooseman90 View Post
Have you taught her the word NO!(or LEAVE IT!) yet? If so snatch the leash and tell her NO! keep an eye on her for a couple of mins. She'll try again. When she does, pull it away before she gets it and tell her NO! if she avoids it and looks to you reward her (praise too) and she'll get the idea pretty quick. Be consistent tho.
That is a valid method also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page