Help with the specifics (Post Everyday Tips For New Pup Owners) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Castlemaid
  • 1 Post By car2ner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Help with the specifics (Post Everyday Tips For New Pup Owners)

Hello,

Just a little about my boy Brutus. So I have had him for just over a week now (he is 11 weeks). At this point he can sit, stay, lay down, and come just about overtime. He goes to the door and waits when he has to pee and is getting good at the leash. Since I have got him he has progressed socially and physically so much.

He is an incredibly smart pup and is learning great but I have a few questions to concrete these tricks.

1.) He only really comes to me "Here" when he knows I have treats. If I ever try and get him to come and he won't listen and I start to walk his way to guide him with his collar he starts to freak out and sometimes pee. How do I break him of only coming when I have treats?

2.) He loves to bark. He barks for no reason all the time outside and to people coming up to him. I don't neccicarilly think this is tolerable so how do I teach him the Quiet trick?

3.) He loves to nip and wrestle but his sharp teeth are turning my arms into shreds. I try to tell him to be "easy" whenever he wrestles or goes to get a treat out of my hand but it does not work.

4.) How should I approach the social scene? I have read different things everywhere and I would like some solidity. I live in a college town, there is always people around meeting the pup, sometimes playing with, and passing by. I want my dog to be social with humans & to cut out any possibility of being aggressive towards them. What is yalls advice?

5.) Lastly, and most importantly, how long can a typical puppy - Adult German Shepherd stay outside actively? I am a very very active person so I spend a lot of time outside. I hike, fish, hunt, run, and if its an outdoor activity you can bet I'm doing it. I live in Oklahoma so the weather in the summer can go above 100 degrees and the winter can get below 20. How much activity can he get in the heat and in general? I want to take him to some trails soon but I have no idea how much he can handle. Can anyone help give insight?

Thank you In advance!!! I would love to see other pics of pups now and then for color comparison as well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9617.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	453242  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 02:17 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi Brandon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonBull22 View Post
Hello,

Just a little about my boy Brutus. So I have had him for just over a week now (he is 11 weeks). At this point he can sit, stay, lay down, and come just about overtime. He goes to the door and waits when he has to pee and is getting good at the leash. Since I have got him he has progressed socially and physically so much.

He is an incredibly smart pup and is learning great but I have a few questions to concrete these tricks.

1.) He only really comes to me "Here" when he knows I have treats. If I ever try and get him to come and he won't listen and I start to walk his way to guide him with his collar he starts to freak out and sometimes pee. How do I break him of only coming when I have treats?

- A major mistake people make is phasing out treats too soon in the training. At this stage, you are slowly, and methodically brainwashing your puppy to associate certain behaviours with a positive outcome (a treat). This takes time, like months, years! Stick with threats for a good year, and after that, you still want to reward randomly to re-inforce the training. You also want to encourage and reward offered behaviours that you want, but did not ask for. Puppy looks at you, treat! Puppy naturally falls to your side and takes a few steps in heel position without you asking,
treat! Puppy sits waiting for you to throw a ball or put down his food, treat! Many people wear a treat bag or walk around with treats in their pockets for the first year of their pup's life. Another tip is making coming to you fun! Call your puppy and run the other way, pup will delight in the chase game. Always have your puppy chase you, you never want to chase your puppy (not even in play), so as not to inadvertently teach your dog that running away is okay.

2.) He loves to bark. He barks for no reason all the time outside and to people coming up to him. I don't neccicarilly think this is tolerable so how do I teach him the Quiet trick?
- Teach your dog to speak on command. Barking is now a game that you control.

3.) He loves to nip and wrestle but his sharp teeth are turning my arms into shreds. I try to tell him to be "easy" whenever he wrestles or goes to get a treat out of my hand but it does not work. - Ah, the joys of owning a landshark! Teach your puppy that playing with you is only okay with toys. Get a variety of tuggy toys and have them at hand. Play tug! Best game in the world. Stop the wrestling. GSDs have a strong bite,
and it is genetic. Cute to wrestle with 11 week old pup, but how cute will it be when he is full-grown and wants to play with you, or someone else, and he is biting and shredding skin. Play with your human is playing with toys, not with clothing or bare skin - you will still get scratched and bitten in play, because puppies don't have full control yet,
but this usually goes away and a soft mouth comes out after they are done teething,
around six months old or so. But don't encourage biting by wrestling with him.

4.) How should I approach the social scene? I have read different things everywhere and I would like some solidity. I live in a college town, there is always people around meeting the pup, sometimes playing with, and passing by. I want my dog to be social with humans & to cut out any possibility of being aggressive towards them. What is yalls advice?
- There is a lot of discussion threads about socialization. My take on it is that your dog does not need to interact with random people, just get used to having people out and about and have them as part of the background. I would be careful about letting strangers play with a little pup - lots of weird people out there,
people who feel they are glorified dog whisperers who might think it is a good idea to alpha-roll your pup to gain its respect (yeah, people really think this!). Puppy should be looking to you for attention, play, affection, and safety. You control how many people he meets, and what their level of interaction is.

5.) Lastly, and most importantly, how long can a typical puppy - Adult German Shepherd stay outside actively? I am a very very active person so I spend a lot of time outside. I hike, fish, hunt, run, and if its an outdoor activity you can bet I'm doing it. I live in Oklahoma so the weather in the summer can go above 100 degrees and the winter can get below 20. How much activity can he get in the heat and in general? I want to take him to some trails soon but I have no idea how much he can handle. Can anyone help give insight?

- Hikes on soft ground at your puppy's pace are okay. Don't force it,
watch Brutus for signs of fatigue - he'll tell you how much is too much. No running on hard surfaces until his growth plate close, about 18 to 24 months. I've taken my 3 month old pup on 2 - 3 hour outings with my other dog, but it was on sand and soft,
wet ground. Kept to leash walks of about 30 minutes or so on pavement.

I live in Canada, and we do get -20 to -30 degree cold here on a regular basis. Again,
watch your puppy for signs of cold, he will let you know what he can handle. I find that when the temperatures get really cold here, my dogs have usually started the "three-legged" dance coupled with looks of misery to let me know that it was too cold for them.
Here, that is our winter, and I expect to get used to it, and after about three days,
they do get used to it, but I don't push their outside time at first. We stay close to home, and gradually extend their time outside. With a puppy, be very careful, they lose body heat fast due to their smaller body mass.

Thank you In advance!!! I would love to see other pics of pups now and then for color comparison as well!
dogma13 likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 AM

I cannot add anything to the wonderful advice Castlemaid posted, but wow, look at those puppy eyes. They are screaming "I love you, take care of me, share that sandwich please?" Learn your pup's body language. They speak volumes without a sound.
Castlemaid likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
Hi Brandon,
Wow thank you. Your advice is definitely noted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page