4Likes
  • 1 Post By konathegsd
  • 2 Post By Slamdunc
  • 1 Post By Kyrielle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Problems

Hello, my gsd now is 32 weeks old
I ve taught him to sit..stay..sleep..attention and to guard sth i put in front of him.

For this i used a metal training collar that a local dog trainer recomended and a lot of cheese coz he loves it.

The problem is he wouldn’t listen to any of these commands from my dad, mom, sister .. he keeps trying to play with them and they ignore him and be like -go away sit sleep- and he’s like -okay i ll jump all around and lick u-
Besides even from me and when he wants to play he doesnt listen right away.

One more problem: I did train my dog to poop only in the back yard months ago. I keep him tied to the wall for about 7 hours( non consecutive) starting 8am so he doesnt bother my family. At night he is always loose to run around and play. He used to poop at 6pm then sometime before sunrise both times he runs to the backyard to do it. What happend is i had to leave him with my friend for a couple of weeks and he kept him caged in one place and now he does poop on the stairs and where he’s tied up. At least he doesnt poop inside the house though or mom will go crazy!
Alse three times a day now in stead of 2 and the hours are all messed up!
To be fair i am feeding him more then usual cause he has the appetite of a hungry village.

Okay i didnt notice i wrote all this so i m gonna stop here xD

Help me! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Vlad1; 10-08-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Master Member

7 hours of being tied up does not sound fair for the dog.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by konathegsd View Post
7 hours of being tied up does not sound fair for the dog.

Sry but i m gonna go ahead and say that is not my question. And its not 7 consecutive hours and that i have to do it.
please stay on topic thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Banned

Weill your not the only one to find themselves with blow back from trusting a friend with there dog.

But pooping, aside is he outside so much because other find him annoying??? If he did not get on there last nerve, would he be allowed inside???
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 12:19 PM

You have a puppy that needs more stimulation, exercise and better training. Your dog has learned that he can poop and move out of the way of it. It is common for dogs that are kenneled or tied out to go to the bathroom and move away from it.

Sry but i m gonna go ahead and say that is not my question. And its not 7 consecutive hours and that i have to do it.
please stay on topic thanks!

Threads can change topics and evolve, and there is nothing wrong with a member responding to a portion of a post that you made.

I agree that tying a puppy out for that length of time is going to contribute to your issues.
Jax08 and GypsyGhost like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad1 View Post
Hello, my gsd now is 32 weeks old

I ve taught him to sit..stay..sleep..attention and to guard sth i put in front of him.

For this i used a metal training collar that a local dog trainer recomended and a lot of cheese coz he loves it.
How did you use the collar?

Quote:
The problem is he wouldn’t listen to any of these commands from my dad, mom, sister .. he keeps trying to play with them and they ignore him and be like -go away sit sleep- and he’s like -okay i ll jump all around and lick u-
Besides even from me and when he wants to play he doesnt listen right away.
How much exercise does this dog get? How much attention? How much play time?

And no, the time when he's tied up does not count toward any of the above.

Quote:
What happend is i had to leave him with my friend for a couple of weeks and he kept him caged in one place and now he does poop on the stairs and where he’s tied up. At least he doesnt poop inside the house though or mom will go crazy!
How long ago did you leave him with your friend?

Either way, it sounds like you need to start housetraining over from the beginning and then go beat your friend's head in with a crowbar for caging your dog so long he soiled himself. That's horrible. Don't ever leave your dog with that guy again if he's going to do that. That will mess up your housetraining EVERY TIME. Plus it makes the dog miserable.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post
How did you use the collar?

How much exercise does this dog get? How much attention? How much play time?

And no, the time when he's tied up does not count toward any of the above.

How long ago did you leave him with your friend?

Either way, it sounds like you need to start housetraining over from the beginning and then go beat your friend's head in with a crowbar for caging your dog so long he soiled himself. That's horrible. Don't ever leave your dog with that guy again if he's going to do that. That will mess up your housetraining EVERY TIME. Plus it makes the dog miserable.

Yea i figured i ll have to start houstraining all over again...
well i returned 2 weeks ago went streight to his house and brought the dog home.

anyway i take him for a walk and play fetch at least 5 times a week. Also i practice basic commands with him like twice a day or 3 times. Especially before feedin him.
But none of my family except my brother would train with him thus he doesnt listen to them when they ask him to leave them alone.. they just arent dog persons lol so it bothers them when he comes trying to play. and i m not always around to call him away

He is very playful and energetic

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
well i returned 2 weeks ago went streight to his house and brought the dog home.

anyway i take him for a walk and play fetch at least 5 times a week. Also i practice basic commands with him like twice a day or 3 times. Especially before feedin him.
But none of my family except my brother would train with him thus he doesnt listen to them when they ask him to leave them alone.. they just arent dog persons lol so it bothers them when he comes trying to play. and i m not always around to call him away

Well, he is an 8 month old puppy, they usually are.

I think you could make the argument to your family that if they want him to leave them alone, then they need to train with him so he'll listen and do as they say. The consequence is obviously a dog that keeps annoying them. So I guess it'll be up to them as to how much they don't like being annoyed.

Of course, you can also up your training. Have you taught "leave it"? If not, I'd give that a go and practice with leaving toys alone up to leaving family members alone. If so, and he understands what he's supposed to do, you may need to introduce corrections when he doesn't obey. But that only works if he already knows what "leave it" means and is choosing to ignore you.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:

You need to walk him and play fetch more like 5 times a day, than 5 times a week. Interaction and exercise, once a day or every other day is not enough for a puppy or a young dog.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Knighted Member

Aside from not getting enough exercise as others have already mentioned, I have to say I've seen this same situation more times than I can count. People who don't like or understand dogs often expect them to respond to speech, because they don't care enough to learn the specific commands the dog knows, or they say a command to the dog without conviction, and don't follow through; or they use different words for that thing they want - since the dog didn't listen last time. in all of these cases a dog, and especially a GSD, will learn very quickly not to listen to that person. This is why a lot of trainers say that 85-90% of dog training is really people training! Your family can be left alone if they want, but your puppy needs to (a) learn a "leave it" or "go away" or "place" or something which fits what your family is trying to tell the dog, and (b) they have to say the correct word EVERY TIME, say it with conviction, and follow through for a bit by showing the dog what to do. Without those steps your dog is going to continue to get worse about listening to them. And honestly, without more playtime and exercise, who can blame that poor puppy from wanting to play every chance it gets!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page