5Likes
  • 1 Post By car2ner
  • 2 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By Sabis mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Lack of attention

So when working for his food my pup 13 wks will break eye contact and wander sniffing the ground for lost kibble even though there isn't any. I call his name and sometimes he'll look at me which I reward with a bite of kibble, or he'll sit on his own and look up at me rewarding again. I've gotten as far as sit and he'll do that wonderfully when directed. I cap the training sessions/meal time to about 5 min so good behavior gets big jackpots. Besides sit the only other command that is great is kennel I say kennel and he's dodging chairs weaving through legs to get to that kennel and get the couple pieces of kibble tossed in there. I don't think that the reward isn't high enough he's lunging into my hand to get fed once I've gotten him into the heel position or in the down position. I'm keeping my spirits up while we're working. I'm not coarse or gruff just a serious tone I'm not feeling defeated I'm kinda laughing. I know he's still young, and its not him It's me. In another month hopefully we'll be joining an IPO/SchH club I'm sure I'll get some help there and the breeders have be a wealth of knowledge and open as well to their methods. Anybody remember how they remedied a similar situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 AM

Patience. You pup will want to try all kinds of things, as they should, to see what happens. It looks like you are doing just fine. Also remember at this age their body is growing so fast they almost seem to not know where all their parts are and can be pretty clumsy. And they need their sleep. If you pup is messing up, might be time for a cat nap.
Aly likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:26 AM

The sniffing and turning away from you is a 'calming signal'.He's feeling too pressured perhaps.If both of you aren't feeling enthusiastic and engaged while training then it's time to approach it differently.
Aly and Sabis mom like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
The sniffing and turning away from you is a 'calming signal'.He's feeling too pressured perhaps.If both of you aren't feeling enthusiastic and engaged while training then it's time to approach it differently.
Thanks I'm not trying to be in a rush, perhaps I'll drop the time back. I'd just rather he get his food through me than from the bowl.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 03:28 PM

I'm assuming you are are withholding a portion of his meals for training purposes like many of us do,not making him work for all of his sustenance the entire day.A good meal and a nap makes for a happy ready to learn puppy
Aly likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Master Member

My girl is unbearable if too hungry. Your pup kind of sounds the same - if the initial "edge" of hunger isn't taken away, then undesirable behaviour can arise. Also remember not to ask too much too soon, and the more praise and reward you give for the behaviour you want, the better. It may seem slow, but it's good to be consistent and positive in the long run. I also find that dogs match your energy... the more excited you are about the training, the more interested they are in you and what's going on. I'm constantly providing praise and pats during training, especially in certain areas where we've lulled. It amps it up and makes it more fun.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

Could you please clarify? Are you making a 3 month old puppy work for 100% of his meals? If so that is way to structured for a pup that young which is why you are getting the avoidance, aka wandering/sniffing.
To each their own, but I ask pups that young for house manners and basic sit, down, come. Nothing at that age should be scary or frustrating, the idea is to build confidence and bond with each other.
dogma13 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Banned

Patience,Patience,Patience ... Boxer 101, and the girls ... are particular "Pig Headed???" It's been 13 years or so but I do remember ... repeating the same command ... over and over and over again. And then one day ... I gave the same "command yet again and I saw the wheels spinning and "Boom" I got compliance ... from that day forward ...everything was a piece of cake!

I never got that level of pigheadedness with my first GSD ... he had uh ...other "issues" but that initial "process of Bonding" my be where the OP is??? But I did not screw around with her "food" to get her over it ... I had time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page