Wetting crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mary Beth
  • 1 Post By choynes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Wetting crate

Our 3mos old GSP is mostly house broken now, except for wetting his crate. It's smaller so he doesn't have too much room and we keep old towels in there. I spray with an enzyme cleaner and put a new one in.
My wife keeps water down for him. I've asked her to stop but she keeps feeling sorry for him "because it's hot outside and if he come in panting he's getting water!"

She is feeding him 3 times a day. He sleeps on our bed now, which is king size and I was afraid that would give him enough room to get up at night and walk to the other side and pee but he hasn't. It's just his crate. We haven't figured out exactly when but when he/we are home he's out supervised in the same room with us. I will say we have been so paranoid about accidents every time he walks around or even remotely towards the door we take him out. Most of the time he pees.
So, questions:
1. are we taking him out too much and he isn't training his bladder to expand and hold it?
2. I finally just now put my foot and my wife took up his water and food, and only put water and food out at each meal (she leaves both out all day). Is this correct? Was this contributing?
3. when do we stop feeding him 3 times a day? Lately he seems to be going through a growth spurt.
4. How do we wash those old towels to get the enzymes out? Are those washed towels triggering it also?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Crowned Member

There was a thread like your question and the solution the op found was to put her puppy on a schedule. So I would suggest starting over. Put your puppy on a schedule and feed him at 3 times a day at regular times. Do not leave him for more than an hour in his crate until he learns to keep it clean. Leave water out until night - or try taking it up at 8 pm - if it is hot he may be thirsty and some ice cubes can help- it depends on the puppy. Remove the towels from the crate as that is acting like a cushion for him but leave some toys. Feed your puppy in his crate that will discourage him from messing in it. After he eats, take him out of the crate for a walk and potty. Then when you return, play with him a bit, or brush him, and after 20 minutes or so, put him back in his crate. Then after about an hour, take him out again to potty. Repeat - play with him or have him just be with you, but then back in the crate for a time. He should learn to hold it that way provided he is not left too long in the crate or too long outside of it since the idea is that he goes back in his crate and then is let out to potty. If he whines in his crate, take him out to potty as he may have to go or is thirsty.
Evohog and choynes like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017

Last edited by Mary Beth; 09-21-2017 at 09:33 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Mary. We will try all this.

Mary Beth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2017, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

We have success. One thing is we were washing the towels and placing them back in, and I guess that won't get rid of the enzymes. So no towel plus not too much freedom plus tethering seems to have stopped. Anyone know what we can was puppy towels in that neutralizes them?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 07:58 AM

Please leave the water available for the puppy. I'm a firm believer in having water available at all times. If you have to take it up, only do so late in the evenings.

My pup was denied free access to water and it caused a lot of problems for him. We got him at 6 months of age and he was absolutely bonkers about water. He would gorge on it and then wouldn't be able to control himself, even peeing in his sleep. That would wake him up, so the poor pup wasn't even getting any rest.

It took us 9 weeks of giving him one cup of water every waking hour of the day, to make sure he had plenty, at least a gallon per day, and he always wanted more. He was always afraid his water was going to be taken away from him so he would drink all he could find. We had to control the amount in order to keep him from binging on it and to prevent constant accidents in the house. After 9 weeks of that routine, he finally left a tiny skim of water in the bowl and from then on he could have free access to water without overdoing it.

I think that we have no idea how much water each puppy needs. There are too many factors involved, such as temperature, activity, whether or not we feed dry food, size and weight of the puppy, coat type, etc. What is enough for one pup may not be enough for another.

So please, never limit water intake, unless there is a medical reason for doing so.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 09:34 AM

... wow how interesting, and awful for you guys, to have the water become a " thing" like that. Glad to have read it.

For the OP, the suggested is exactly what I did too, removed all towels, etc from my pup's crate and fed him in there. Never an accident afterward, and he joyfully leaps into his crate because it is a "good" place.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 09:44 AM

Mostly, I think it was really awful for the pup. He must have been incredibly dehydrated when we got him and we feel like he was on the verge of not surviving. We had no idea he was in such bad shape and since he has long hair, we couldn't see just how thin he was. We are just hoping there are no long term effects, and at this time, he seems very happy and healthy.

He still has a thing about water and goes nuts whenever he sees a hose. I don't know if there is any connection there, but it wouldn't surprise me. At least we now can keep a bowl full of water down for him and he won't overdo his drinking.

Sorry for derailing this topic. Best of luck to the OP and I hope they find a solution. Just please don't make removing the water a part of that "cure".
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choynes View Post
We have success. One thing is we were washing the towels and placing them back in, and I guess that won't get rid of the enzymes. So no towel plus not too much freedom plus tethering seems to have stopped. Anyone know what we can was puppy towels in that neutralizes them?

You can try adding baking soda to your regular detergent in the wash cycle and then add distilled vinegar to the rinse cycle to eliminate the enzymes.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

We are not really restricting water, just u fettered access to it while we got the crate wetting under control. He had access to almost two cups of water three times a day. At first he did t drink it all, but I think when he figured out it wouldn't be there all day he eventually drank most of it during meals. We gave him 30-40 minutes to eat and drink, it not like we treated him like a prisoner
We just installed one of those automatic dog doors to the outside and he's adjusting to that also. We plan now to leave the water out, only restricting it during the intense part of house breaking.

To recap:
Removed all towels/bedding from crate
Used pet enzyme neutralizer in the crate
Restricted water access to three meals a day
Increased walk times
Tethered him when out
Put him in his crate more throughout the day so he would adjust
Played with him in the back bedrooms so he would identify them as part of his "den"

He's probably 70% housebroken now but not enough to be trusted out of his crate unattended.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 03:45 PM

If you are restricting water at all, you cannot know that the pup is 70% housebroken. There is no way to know that if he doesn't have water all the time. You are doing the same thing that the previous owners of my dog were doing. They thought this pup was housebroken, too. He was no where close.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, water should never, ever be restricted. If the dog is peeing inside, it's because he isn't being taken outside enough. And how do you know he's getting enough water? Don't you ever get thirsty between meals?

Restricting water to housebreak a puppy is never necessary. It's your responsibility to make sure that accidents don't happen, not the pup's fault for drinking when it's thirsty.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I know the problems that this causes. I'm trying to help you to avoid those issues and help your dog as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page