>>HELP<< 9 week puppy potty training/crate training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

>>HELP<< 9 week puppy potty training/crate training

Hello,
I got a GSD puppy about 2 weeks ago, I am still trying to figure out the time scheduling as I am crate training. I have kind of been going with his needs as a puppy but I want to get him on a more routine schedule. I do take get him up the same time everyday and feed around the same time, 15 minutes before or after desired time, and the same for bed time. But I am having difficulty picking a time(s) to get him up in the middle of the night. I usually wait until he starts crying. When he is out of the crate he does a good job of going to the door when he has to go handle his business, rarely having accidents.
He wakes up at 6 am, eats at 6:30am/pm and bedtime is around 8:00.
About how many hours apart does night time potty trips need to be?
How do i keep him for going potty in his crate?
I want to make sure I am doing the right thing and just need some help.

If you have any other tip/trick they would be greatly appreciated. I have had a GSD but it was a "family" pet but this is my first GSD since I have moved out of my parents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Master Member

I just did the same as you when the pup whined at night i took him out then right back to bed I kept it dark and no talking expect good potty. I did notice that he would wake up about the same time each night to go potty. I think if you give it a little more time you will see the same. He naturally could go longer and longer without late night potty breaks. I kept a schedule like you wake up and bedtime and feeding. He naturally has just kept that schedule, he will sleep later on weekends, but he knows when its bedtime and is always ready to sleep at that time.

At 9 weeks I would say we had 3-4ish potty breaks at night maybe more I was exhausted, but it took a while before he wasn't ready to start his day at 4 am. If he sleeps with potty breaks from 8 pm to 6 am I would say you are doing pretty good.

Our pup never went potty in his crate so I am not much help there. Someone was always home and he naturally did not want to potty in his crate. I think being responsive to his cues by taking him outside the moment he is released from the crate would help. We have to leash our dog to take him to potty, no fence, we would go to the same area say go potty then good potty, we still do and he will potty on command. Hope that helps.
Mary Beth and Baykingston like this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 07:50 PM

If you feed him his last meal at 6:30, and take up his water then he should be able to go all night. He will cry in the middle of the night for a little but if you don't go to the crate he should be ok! We got our german shepherd pup at 8 weeks, the first two nights I got up at 3:30am to let her out to go to the bathroom, but after that we started taking the water up. She was able to hold it until 5:45am the 3rd night, and by the 8th night she was ok until 6:30am. They typically don't want to go to the bathroom where they sleep, so if the crate is small enough (we have a large crate and then put a divider to make it just big enough for her to turn around) then he likely won't eliminate in his crate! Hope this helps
Baykingston likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 PM
Crowned Member

Your pup eats at 6:30pm and goes to bed at 8:00pm that doesn't give him much time to empty out. If possible, try to feed him earlier or have his bedtime later. But still take him out in the evenings and try to give him a little walk and playtime that way he has more time to potty and the exercise will help. Since he is going in his crate, it could be that the crate is too big and also that by the time he whines and you wake up, it may be too late. Setting your alarm for halfway through the night may also help or a little bit before the usual time that he wakes you up.
Baykingston likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 PM

We just picked up our 8 week old white GSD on Friday. She is doing great with the crate training. At the moment she is relaxing in her crate no whining at all. Here is what we are doing. I wake up at 5 am and take her right outside within 15 minutes she does her business. Mostly just pees. I bring her right back inside and she goes in her crate. We feed her in her crate. 30 to 45 minutes later my wife takes her out to the (same area), then she poops and pees. We bring her in and let her out for approximately a half hour. Then back into the crate.

Our son is home during the day. so he follows our pattern. When the dog comes out of the crate she is always immediately taken out side to her designated spot to go to the bathroom. He can bring her back in for playtime but after awhile, its back into the crate. He determins how often he takes her out of the crate during the day because my wife and I are at work. On thing to remember, a dog this age can only hold its water about 4 hours. We feed her about 6 pm, once again eats in the crate. 30 to 45 minutes later we take her out to her designated spot to go to the bathroom.
My wife and I come home, we play with her and depending how much water she drinks, we watch closely and take her out about 45 minutes later. When we can't keep a close eye on her we always put her in her crate. We repeat this over and over out of the crate, outside. Drinks water, outside. We keep the water out, but sometimes restrict for a little bit to keep the night flowing. She has water before bed around 11 pm, then once again we take her out. Back in the crate, it's now bedtime. Because she can only hold her water for 4 hrs my son takes her out at 2 am. This is our cycle. We will gradually extend the times she can hold her water as she develops. Right now, she is laying in her crate as happy as can be. It helps that her crate is in my wife's office so she spends a lot of time in there. I'm going to go and play with her now before bed! Hope this helps!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much, I am getting a crate divider today. Since he has been going to the bathroom in his crate when i put the divider in is he going to be used to going in there and continue?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baykingston View Post
Thank you guys so much, I am getting a crate divider today. Since he has been going to the bathroom in his crate when i put the divider in is he going to be used to going in there and continue?
Since the crate will be smaller that should discourage him from having an accident because he can't get away from the mess. Be sure to clean out the crate with an enzyme cleaner available in the pet stores or the pet section in grocery stores. I would also put in a soft toy so can cuddle up to that.
Baykingston likes this.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Any other training tips, doesn't have to be about potty training.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Smile Update

Last night was the first night with a crate divider and there was no pee! Today when i came home for lunch there was no pee! and i just got a text from my bf saying that this is no pee! I think we found a solution! It has only been a day but i am hopeful! Thank you guys soo much!!
Mary Beth and spalmer like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Update

We have been using the crate divider and hes been doing okay. Still peeing in the crate sometimes. Not when Im away but in the middle of the night. I take him out every 2 hours and cut off his water an hour and a half before bed. Is there anything else I can do

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page