Best puppy books?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Best puppy books??

Hi all - first time poster here! My friend just got an adorable GSD girl from Lindel Shepherds. I helped him evaluate breeders - Linda seemed pretty reputable and she happened to have one girl puppy whose original buyer fell through.

Although my friend's family always had dogs, he was never really involved in their training. AND they were all beagles/mixes. Zero experience with GSDs. I've trained a few dogs but no personal GSD experience and my last puppy was over 10 years ago (memory fades!).

He's not really a reader, but I was hoping to get a recommendation for a good BASIC book on puppies - feeding, early manners, crate/house training, etc. Less theory and more bullet point information, if you get the drift.

My friend (1) knows he doesn't know anything and (2) really wants to do right by his dog. And I'm trying to do what I can to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Knighted Member

Welcome to the forum! The training methodology and behavior sections of this forum have loads of valuable information on books, methods, and suggestions for individualized issues that your friend should find useful. But, if he has no previous experience training a puppy, I would highly recommend joining a puppy obedience class! Most of the training is actually for the person, not the puppy, and that's a good thing. Once a person learns to effectively communicate with their puppy the actual training of the puppy is easy😊

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Oh I should have said. I've given him referrals to 2 really good training groups in our area (one is What a Good Dog with Mary Remer, for anyone in the Philadelphia suburbs). He's on board for puppy kindergarten & then basic manners & beyond. I told him I expect at least a CGC!!

He's just struggling right now with crate training & house training, and my knowledge is old & rusty. I did find a link to the American Dog Trainers Network that had a couple of good articles.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Knighted Member

I found a few useful threads on crate training and potty training in the forum here.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ing-input.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ty-breaks.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-training.html

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...her-crate.html

I have never had my puppy in a crate, so can't speak to that one with any experience, but for potty training you just need to get them out regularly, and clean up any accidents with an enzyme cleaner. If they smell urine or feces in the house it tells them it's okay to use that spot again. With my pup I just kept a close eye for the cues...she's start nosing around...then I'd take her out quickly. It doesn't take them long to catch on.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Knighted Member

YouTube is also a great resource for training videos. Most any subject you can think of is covered.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page