Oh the recall - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By IllinoisNative
  • 1 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Oh the recall

Like clock work 5 months hit and the recall WENT OUT THE FLIPPING DOOR WITH THE TRASH. To say it's shoddy would be giving it more praise than deserved at best. We're working on it slowly. I am not hugely worried about it because he doesn't bolt as soon as the leash is dropped like my hound mix growing up, will stay seated when not holding the leash, and will walk with me without me holding the leash.

But if he is free and sniffing? Forget about it you don't exist. Walk away from him and hide? He won't notice you're gone!

So back to basics in the house. He's 90% in the house and I just don't ask him to come when we are out anymore because I know he won't.

But.... he has started doing something I don't have a clue how to address? It's not every time but at least twice a day minimum when I tell him to come he will look at me, bark, bolt away, go get a toy, and bolt to me.... so technically he came? At least thats what I'm assuming is going on in his mind. I give him a yes marker when he comes but no other praise/play/pats/or treats when he does this but its not showing any signs of changing?

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:53 PM

Sorry,but no he's not obeying your recall at all.He wants to play instead.If it was me I would put him on a long line,reel him in when I called him,and use that toy to reward him with an enthusiastic game.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Him technically coming was a joke. I can either be sour that my 5 month just hit puberty puppy isn't an obedience master and pull my hair out or I can find some humour in his antics as we work them out and save my sanity.

Yes, I know he wants to play. Which is why I don't play with him when he does this. Usual out come is I take the toy, he gets put in a place command for 5 to 15 minutes, then put in his crate while I do chores. Before we go to do what ever it was I originally called him to me for. I figured after a few times of this he would realize bolting to go get a toy not only didn't end up in play but got really boring for him.

Long line in the house isn't an option, tried that was a total mess. He got tangled, furniture got tangled, I got tangled. It was way harder to manage him on than just having him on a leash and I would have to go get him anyways because he would be stuck on himself. He has a 6 foot leash on when inside or a grab tab depending on his behavior so he isn't just free ever.

I use the long line reel in play/treat when working him outside. Inside he's never far enough out of reach to justify having a 30 foot leash on him. I call him to me all day for anything from play, feedings, grooming, pets, walk, and praise him anytime he comes to me on his own/is polite and when he doesn't come I get the leash and reel him back to where ever it was that I called him from. We also play a recall and place command game where I have him ping pong between his 3 spots and me from different rooms since we have smoke problems from wild fires right now and outside exercise just isn't an option right now. So it is not as if he isn't getting recall work we just had to take a step back from him being trusted to come outside/ catching up when I walk away/going to find me when he's not paying attention and instead is back to being realed in when ever called and micromanaging him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Master Member

Do you have anyone in your household who would be willing to help you train recall? My partner and I will stand out in the yard about 20 feet away and just do the "Hier" command repetitively back and forth. We'll do it for about 5 minutes every now and then, and I've found when we can do that it really helps. That or just doing it randomly throughout the day too. But like you know, it tends to just go poof whenever something more exciting happens when they're young.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:02 PM
Master Member

My boy is 6 months, and I don't have an issue with recall. I'm not sure it can be blamed on puberty at 5 months. My puppy is very food motivated. I only call him to me when 1) I can reinforce it 2) when I have a treat. Nothing but good things happen when I say come. And he gets rewarded EVERY SINGLE TIME. It's to the point that he will scale a mountain to get to me when I say come. I take him everywhere to practice...stores, parks, outside, inside, friends houses, etc.

If I can't reinforce come, I don't say the word. If you say come and can't reinforce it, it teaches them to ignore you. If you can't have a long line in the house and have no way to make him come to you, don't use the word come. To me, come means come. Period. They don't get to choose not to come. Not an option. Someday, it may save their life.
Slamdunc likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 11:41 PM

Yes, I know he wants to play. Which is why I don't play with him when he does this. Usual out come is I take the toy, he gets put in a place command for 5 to 15 minutes, then put in his crate while I do chores. Before we go to do what ever it was I originally called him to me for. I figured after a few times of this he would realize bolting to go get a toy not only didn't end up in play but got really boring for him.

This is making things too complicated and confusing.The refusal to recall gets lost along the way when you change over to practicing other commands.It's no longer clear to him what you wanted him to do in the first place.The other posters offered sound advice.Keep things simple,clear,and you two will make it through the teenage phase.Dealing with the smoke outside can't be easy for you.Sounds awful.
Slamdunc likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Master Member

I would say (as others have said) make it impossible for him to refuse. When he comes, throw a party.

It sounds to me also that being outside alone is enough of a distraction, I would remove all other distractions (ie toys, people)...only work 1 D at a time in the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page