Barking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Barking

Hi all! My pup just received his last round of vaccines not too long ago and was cleared to go everywhere outside a few days ago. He's been outside in public pretty busy places for about 4 days now.

He's fine with people, cars, small animals, and all that, but not other dogs. Kind of. Whenever he sees a dog he wants to play with it. Problem is, he barks at it and barks during play. Only stops when he's smelled the dog to his satisfaction or he gets to play a little bit. But not every dog or owner wants to play with him.

He doesn't bark when we're on walks and he sees dogs. He only barks when I take him out for potty and he roams freely on the leash on grass. I think it's because when walking he's serious and considers it a serious job. He's great and ignores everything. But when I take him out for potty and he's allowed to roam, he barks at all dogs and wants to play with literally every dog.

He's met most dogs he's barked at and has absolutely no aggressive behavior to the point that he barks at a dog and then licks him all over. Really loves them. How do I get him to stop barking when he wants to play with every dog he sees?

I don't want to teach the commands "bark" and "quiet" because I'm sure he'll bark more in general.

I take his attention away from the dogs with commands and treats and he stops barking for that but then goes right back to it.

Right now the only solution I have is to walk away with him, but I don't think that's a good long term thing.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

I think you've found the best solution is to walk away with him That way you are not giving him the idea that if he barks he gets to play. What you also could do, when your puppy sees another dog and starts to bark, is to have your pup first sit, be sure to stand in front of him and put your hand gently on the top of his nose to quiet him. Then when is quiet, let him go and play with the other dog. For barking during play - that is just part of playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017

Last edited by Mary Beth; 08-19-2017 at 07:41 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I think you've found the best solution is to walk away with him That way you are not giving him the idea that if he barks he gets to play. What you also could do, when your puppy sees another dog and starts to bark, is to have your pup first sit, be sure to stand in front of him and put your hand gently on the top of his nose to quiet him. Then when is quiet, let him go and play with the other dog. For barking during play - that is just part of playing.
....but please be careful about strange dogs. One good scare (doesn't have to be a bite) is enough to make an impressionable pup shy or dog aggressive later on. Choose safe and known dogs as his playmates/teachers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help and replies! I've tried a few different things with varying success. My pup is very passionate about his playful barking. He definitely does it more when he starts the day and has more energy, so I try to walk him before we see any dogs around. Telling him to sit doesn't work, as he sits and barks lol. Treats also didn't work because he stops while training, then immediately continues. Ive had the most success with making him sit and stay as he barks, then letting him come closer when he stops. He realizes that the less her barks the faster he gets to say "hi!" to the other dog. I always ask the stranger dog's owner if their dog is friendly and if he can approach and explain what I'm trying to teach him. So far it's only gone unexpected once and he received a warning nip that did no damage. He himself seemed unphased by it and was happy to meet more dogs. Gets a little better each day!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

"a warning nip" is a bite by the way. You are taking too many risks by relying on owners of strange dogs.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
"a warning nip" is a bite by the way. You are taking too many risks by relying on owners of strange dogs.
Yes, but a bite that's necessary for communication and doesn't hurt. I think it's important for him to learn communication with other dogs and be able to realize when they don't want him around. Sure he depends on me for pretty much everything, but I think it's important to foster an independence where he knows how to interact with living things and objects around him without getting into trouble when an adult
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page