Is it possible - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Is it possible

My 4month old pup has been having more frequent accidents. I get mad and say bad and take her outside. What I am thinking is it feels like when she uses the bathroom in her room we take her outside. Instead of using the bathroom she just kind of hangs out outside. It's feels as is she is using the restroom inside for the sake of going outside. When we first set her up in the room she was making good progress. Take her out every 2 hours and she has no accidents between 12am to 6am. Now even taking her out every hour she still has accidents inside. When we take her out she doesn't use it. I try praise when she uses it outside. And louder tone of voice when she uses it inside just seems to be getting worse. Please help

Her name is Ruka from guam 671
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:17 PM

Scolding a dog for potty accidents can make him reluctant to potty in your presence.Ignoring accidents and praising outside success is best.
Slamdunc and Mudypoz like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Today for example I worker from 6pm to midnight and my wife got called in from 8 to midnight. We had a family member stop by take her out at 10pm thinking when I got home at 12 i can take her out and not worry about the rest of the night. My wife fed her at 6 pm took her out at 7pm and 8pm she only peed. My sister took her out at 10pm she peed and popped I get home at 12 to find she peed and popped in her room. Take her out clean it up usually if I take her out at 12 she is ok till 6am when we wake up. Wrong wife comes home at 1am. Finds she pooped in her room again. She has had her own room for almost 2 months and started out really good. Now she is using the restroom inside almost 2 or 3 times a day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I try not to get to aggressive with the scolding. But when the potty training is going backwards it's almost hard to help. It feels like she is doing it on purpose though

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:20 PM

There is no point in scolding a dog for going to the bathroom in the house, unless you catch the dog in the act. If you find a puddle in the house and didn't see it occur, then there is no point in getting mad or scolding the dog. It is basically the owners fault.

Do you keep your dog in a crate or loose in a room?
Mudypoz likes this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Her crate is in the room for when we spend long hours away. She hasn't used it much. Currently I am trying to put her in the crate after she uses it for at least half an hour than take her outside. She is hating it but is it possible she is doing it on purpose.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

And it's not like aggressive yelling just kinda like when you let out those frustrated grunts and say bad dog and walk her outside. She knows it's her room because when I say in your room she walks to her gate. I know it doesn't take a month to get it down I just kinda figured if she knew it was her territory she wouldn't potty in it.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

She's clearly using her room to relieve herself on purpose. Darn smart GSDs... She's getting something out of it, or avoiding something she doesn't like about doing it outside. Your job, should you choose to accept it, is to show her that really good things happen when she goes outside! Timing and treats are your tools...use them...she'll catch on quickly because she's very smart!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERNAMEISRUKA View Post
And it's not like aggressive yelling just kinda like when you let out those frustrated grunts and say bad dog and walk her outside. She knows it's her room because when I say in your room she walks to her gate. I know it doesn't take a month to get it down I just kinda figured if she knew it was her territory she wouldn't potty in it.
It makes no difference if it's her room inside or same size fenced area outside.She will sleep and eat in one area and potty in another area.This is why locking them in the crate is best.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 07:16 PM
EJQ
Knighted Member

Wow - your biggest mistake so far is the scolding. Unless you standing right there exactly when she does the potty thing in the house you can just forget about a reaction on your part because she won't have a clue why your are scolding her. Dogs live in the moment! 30 seconds ago doesn't mean anything. One thing to consider is that she is,after all, still a puppy! I'm thinking that there is something about the outside potty area that she just doesn't like. Have you considered making a change there? You have to convince her that going potty outside is a terrific thing - that will take positive talk (if you show frustration she will pick up on it and your job will become more difficult) and rewards.

I'm sure you will be getting many more responses in the meantime patience; it will happen eventually.

ARABELLE vom Garringer CGC, TDI

BRYNNA vom Garringer AKC STAR PUPPY, CGC, TDI (crossed over February 15, 2018)
AHREN vom Garringer (crossed over December 30, 2011)
B'ELANNA vom FlaglerHaus CGC, SAR (crossed over March 4, 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page