Please help. I'm so sleep deprived. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Please help. I'm so sleep deprived.

Hi all.

I haven't been here for quite a few years. Last time was when I was searching for my now 5 year old GSD. I've since added another. He is 9 weeks today. He is my 3rd GSD total. My first is no longer with us. Passed away in 2010.

I'm averaging 4 hours sleep a night and I'm pulling my hair out. I don't remember my other 2 being this difficult. He is eating well and I keep him active. So does my 5 year old dog. She likes him. He has learned sit already. We are working on leave it (I have cats) and he is learning the leash.

My problem is housebreaking and crate training. I realize he is only 9 weeks but he pees. A lot. And at will. Everywhere. I've confined him to the kitchen and I stay in it with him to watch him. He will pee 5 minutes after I took him out. Does this get easier? And crate training. I made a makeshift one in my room. Baby gate in dormer. He did well the first 5 nights. He'd wake me up after 4 hours. I'd take him out to pee and put him right back and he'd fall back asleep. The last 2 nights he wants to play from midnight to 3 am. I have a crate downstairs and he goes in on his own during the day but the minute I shut the gate he screams like no tomorrow. I let him have at for an hour this morning while I managed to get 20 more minutes of sleep. When I woke back up and he heard me moving around he got quiet, so I let him out of the crate and praised him.

Please tell me this gets easier or help me to figure out what I am doing wrong. In my sleep deprivation this morning, I've considered giving him back to the breeder and I don't want to do that. I've never done that. All animals who entered my home were always a part of it but he is making it very difficult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Also, just wanted to add that when he does pee outside he gets rewarded. He has been rewarded from day 1. When he is caught inside, I give him a stern "outside" and I place him outside. Just yesterday, he finally picked up on "let's go outside" and he will beeline it to the door. So, I am seeing some progress. But I am still taking him out every 15 to 20 minutes.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin-pup View Post
Does this get easier?
The good news is yes it does! It takes time but before you know it you'll be sleeping thru the night again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I honestly can't recall my other 2 doing this. Neither one liked the crate either. My first we got at 12 weeks old and she was kind of housebroken but she ended up having mega-e and that was 4 years of different challenges. My other, it was winter and I don't recall standing out in the snow every 15 minutes. I do remember chasing her to the living room all the time before she peed.

I feel bad for having the thoughts I had at 4 am.

He is also whining. A lot. Does this also subside or am I destined to house arrest the rest of his life? I'm beginning to wonder if he has some separation anxiety from the breeder?

Last edited by Tin-pup; 08-15-2017 at 10:33 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Master Member

We have a habit of looking to the past with rose colored shades. As far as I remember all of my past dogs were way better than my pup, but I'm sure some day when he's gone and there's a new pup I'll be thinking the same.

My pup was a big time whiner and hated his crate to begin with. He still doesn't like it too much but he hauls tail right in there when I tell him and the whining has stopped unless he gets excited to be with everyone else.

He's a little over 4 months old and sleeps thru the night now, so you'll get there don't worry!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. I agree on the rose colored glasses. I totally forgot what my 5 year old was like as a pup. I know for sure she hated the crate and still does to this day. But I don't remember how I was able to sleep. I work as a contractor with periods of time off and I had some time off with her then to train and him now. I went back to work when she was about 14 weeks old and I don't remember how I contained her. But I had to somehow. I have time off with him now to when he is about 5 months old or more.

Just praying to God I have the same with this one. The ability to leave. Taking it one day at a time.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Knighted Member

When Levi was a puppy, he did not empty his bladder completely with the first potty. Before we went inside, I always had to make sure he was finished. He often ended up squatting two or even three times.

If you know your puppy does this, maybe you can wait outside with him until he pees a second time, or if that is taking too long, you could take him inside to the crate for 5 minutes and then go back outside and see if he finishes.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

He does that now. Sometimes once. Sometimes twice. I immediately take him back in so he starts to get the pattern. Just can't remember how long that takes.

The crate. I've been working with him going in and out. He has toys in there. I entice him in with a treat or a toy and the word kennel. Most times I leave the door open. Sometimes I shut but don't lock. Soon as he sees it shut, he whines. I sit there. Won't open till he stops. Then if he quiets down, I'll open and praise. I think once he feels comfy in the crate with the door shut, potty training might come easier? I just feel like I'm going in circles right now and wondering what did I just do to myself?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:17 PM

You may want to consider not letting the pup have any water to drink at least 2 hours before bed time. As long as the pup has had a good drink of water after it's meal it will survive without any water for the rest of the night.

Another thing to consider is that (you may not realize it) but your frustration is possibly being felt by the pup as well, it may be reacting to your actions, it's a baby.

Remember that pups/dogs like people are individuals and what works for one will not necessarily work for another, give it a try.

Good luck

Kim
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

I've been doing that already. I shut off water after 8 pm and he is usually asleep at my feet by 930.

I'm going to try exercising/playing hard with him tonight before bed to see if that will tire him out and make him sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page