Hyper=Not listening - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sabis mom
  • 1 Post By ausdland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Hyper=Not listening

Can anyone please help me! I have a 9 week old puppy (got him at 7 weeks old) and he hasn't stopped since I brought him home. I am wanting to work with him on basic commands and eventually on protection. he learned sit in a matter of 30 seconds but we have been working on lay down for about two days.

It seems that he doesn't want to stop long enough to listen or learn though. Even when I try to tell him to come he only does whatever he wants. And when I try to tell him no he only backs up and barks at me like he is giving me an attitude.

I have tried to find videos on different training techniques but it seems everything I find the puppy is already well behaved.
Any help or advise would be great!!
Ashley H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

They don't come pre programmed. He is a puppy.
You need to teach him what you want.
At 9 weeks you should be focusing on things like house training and crate training. Get to know each other. He needs to learn to take treats nicely and should be learning the basics of collar and leash. No forced marches. Just basics.
When you want to teach him keep it simple and fun. A couple of minutes and tons of praise.
dogma13 and ausdland like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Elite Member

Patience. Other than described below I'd make recall super fun and rewarding. The rest will come in time. He should just be having fun playing and learning to potty outside.
dogma13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Don't let those videos fool you. They aren't going to show you the times the puppy goofs off. They only show the ideal. Trust me, their babies aren't perfect either.
You have a brave and confident pup. Trust me that is a good thing. As he grows into maturity, if you keep your rules clear and fair, he'll grow into a great dog. Make sure he gets plenty of rest. Human toddlers get cranky and whinny. Dog toddlers get bossy and nippy. Naps are a good thing.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

It is good to hear all your comments. I was starting to think I wasn't doing something right for him. I do worry though because he seems to whine a lot but I don't know what to do for him.
I have been trying to work with him on just simple command such as sit, lay, down and come because he stays outside and I didn't think I would need to crate/potty train him.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 09:06 AM

wow, he is little to be staying outside by himself. I've always had inside dogs, even all my big ones, so it seems odd to me to have pups outside where so much can happen to them.

Even an outside dog will want human companionship and especially GSDs. They want to work as a team so yes, the more you do little obedience skills now and the more you play with your dog, the better. It is work and you won't always feel like it but the payoff is amazing!

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page