To bark or not to bark? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

To bark or not to bark?

So my mom and I are having a disagreement about how to train my puppy. He's almost completely potty trained in the way that he goes to the front door when he wants outside, but sits there quietly. When he wants poop, he makes some kind of noise there and gets our attention (we always hear and he's never had an accident), but when he wants pee, he doesn't make any noise and if we don't notice him fast enough he just pees next to the door. I've never caught him in the act because he only pees when I don't see or hear him sitting next to the front door!

I want to train him to ring a bell when he wants out. I'm halfway there and I know it'll work.

My mom says that he should bark or whine when he wants to go, but I don't want to teach him to be noisy because I live in an apartment building and he's already vocal during play. I'm afraid that teaching him to make noise will enable him to think barking at any time is excusable. All her dogs have barked to let her know they need out so she thinks it's wrong that he doesn't.

Anyone have any suggestions/experience/input on what we should do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:59 PM
Master Member

Honestly, your dog gives you pretty obvious signals to begin with, neither of which have to be a bell or a bark. When they're puppies, it's on you to watch their signals. Eventually they learn to hold it, or they give their signal to you that they have to go. My girl sits and waits by the door. I never leave her unsupervised, so there's no reason for her to bark or ring a bell.

As they get older, they start to hold it better and it's just on you to be aware of when they should go. Bells or barks, doesn't matter so long as they give you an obvious sign.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Knighted Member

I think you'll be okay either way. My dog has learned that there are times to be vocal and times not to be. She has a puppy bark that she uses when she needs to go outside, wants to come back in, or wants us to play with her. It's a single sharp high pitched bark.

She defaults to her big, booming, menacing sounding bark when someone is at the door. (I let her. I tell her when to leave off. I haven't yet taught her to light up on command, but it's on my list.)

Barking isn't an issue for her at any other time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Not sure how old your pup is.....but after 6 months or so, no more signaling, the expectation is for them to hold it.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Crowned Member

You should take dogs and pups out on a set schedule. DO NOT RELY ON THE DOG to decide when to go out and when not to.

You will walk when it is time to walk
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 05:33 PM

Bell would probably be less obnoxious than barking.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 06:54 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I see that your puppy is 15 weeks old. If he's peeing in the house, he's not fully housebroken yet. And if he's not fully housebroken, he should not be left unsupervised unless he's confined in his crate. If you don't see or hear him sitting at the door waiting to go out, you're not watching him. The fact that he's going to the door and waiting for someone to notice and let him out means he's trying. Discovering that he's peed after that fact is setting back your housebreaking efforts.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

He does have a pee schedule. Take him out after every nap, meal, and every two hours. But sometimes he goes out and needs to go out again half an hour later.

I don't leave him unsupervised. The accidents that happen, and it's only happened twice since we got him at 9weeks old, is when he's sleeping under my chair and is super quick and quiet. Either way, I just like having a little backup and stronger communication. If he doesn't whine, bark, or ring a bell I still wouldn't consider it a problem.

Thanks for the advice all! I'll probably teach him the bell just for fun (since he loves learning things like this) but still take him out on his normal schedule and all that jazz.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

Don't use a bell. It seemed like a good idea until mine started hitting it every time he wanted to play. It also destroyed the door. The bells got twisted and scraped the finish every time he hit them.
car2ner likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Don't use a bell. It seemed like a good idea until mine started hitting it every time he wanted to play. It also destroyed the door. The bells got twisted and scraped the finish every time he hit them.
Ooo did not think about that. Yeah, probably not the best idea. That's okay though- the past week he's been much much better at communicating and I'm sure it'll only get better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page