Puzzle Toys - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Puzzle Toys

Hi All,

My puppy is just over three months old and has a little bit of separation anxiety. Whenever I leave the room (and put him in his crate), he cries for about 5-30 seconds but then stays quiet till I come back to get him. He doesn't hate the crate, just loves seeing where I'm going and what I'm up to. Can I give him a puzzle toy to keep him occupied in his cage? My fear is that if I give him those he won't be able to stay calm in the crate without them. What have other people's experiences been?

Last edited by Tamra9991; 08-03-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:13 AM

Seperation anxiety is literally tearing crates apart to get to you, or howling non stop for hours on end. It's not whining like the toddler he is for 30 seconds max. I wouldn't worry about it, id be more worried about him eating the toy when he got bored.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:56 AM

Doesn't sound like you have a problem. It is perfectly natural for a pup to want to be exploring your world than stuck in a crate. A few moments of protest is not an issue. You can offer treats for going into the crate and being still in there. If it is going to be awhile you can offer something that takes a little while to chew, like some jerky (made for dog kind..people kind is too salty). It is a good thing to teach them to be calm in a crate.

Puzzles are fine but they don't hold attention long. You want to keep an eye on them as they play with them. Then can be expensive and like Tenn said, I'd be concerned with a bored pup chewing them up.
For cheap puzzles, I find rinsed plastic juice bottles with a few small treats in them make for nice puzzles. Once they get chewed up, toss them into the recycling bin. Same for hiding treats in shoe boxes. But if you use boxes make sure to take off plastic tape. Some really large boxes have staples so watch out for those. If you order from some place like Chewy they send boxes with brown wrapping paper to keep items from shifting. If you put treats or a favorite toy in the box under all that paper, you pup might have fun exploring under all that crinkly mess to find the prize.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page