crate training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mya2017

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

crate training

We recently added a second dog to our family and she is an 8 week old gsd. We crate trained our other dog and it worked perfect and the puppy not so much. We've tried the feeding her and playing by the crate and she's fine but once the door closes it's a different story. We already got a new crate because she was biting the door. She ate a part of her blanket and we have antlers bones in there as well to keep her entertained. Also it's not all day we do it for short periods of time but once you let her out she still cries for atleast 5-10 min. We only crate her when we are gone and I've been letting her sleep on the floor at night to avoid her being in there and so I can keep my sanity.Has anybody else had this issue and what is a possible resolution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:54 AM

My girl was the same way. She once pulled a pair of my pants (34x36) through the 1" x 3" squares. So I tried leaving her out at night and when we were gone. Believe it or not we never had a problem.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

she is too young to be trusted outside the crate at This point I guess I will just have to teach her to deal with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

The main reason I worry is when we had toys in there they would be soaked from her licking or sucking or whatever it is but it was without a doubt not urine. So we went blanketless and just left antlers and puppy bones and now there is a little puddle by the gate door... she is acting fine once out no vomiting, diarrhea and eats and drinks fine
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 04:52 PM

What if you would try one of them gate things, I'm not sure what they are called. They are like a playpen but with no floor. Some are expandable and some are similar to the metal crates, with fold able panels. Just a thought.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

We have baby gates that we block her off with when we are home and she jumps at those as well and tries to get out... It may be that she had free roam at the breeders he had his basement as basically a puppy apartment they had free roam of the place... I'll give it a couple more weeks and if it's still bad I will try to find an alternative
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:17 PM
Master Member

Most young puppies will cry at first. Think about it. She just went from being with her littermates 24/7 to being handed over to strangers and being left completely alone for the what may be the 1st time ever in her entire life. It is pretty normal for puppies to cry at first. Giving in and letting them out or avoiding crating won't teach them that the crate is a good and safe place to be. I also would not crate her only when you have to leave. You risk building a bad association with the crate. Going into the crate = you leaving her, and you could be setting your self up for separation issues

I like Susan Garrett's Crate Games DVD. Teaches you puppy so much more than just good crate manners. My pups get crated the first night they come home. Yup there is some crying, but that is what ear plugs are for I try to make the crate a good thing by giving them something to keep them busy like a bully stick or kong stuffed with something yummy and frozen to distract them. By the time they get through that the initial OMG I"M IN A CRATE moment has passed. If she was not introduced to a crate or confinement by your breeder that is likely most of your issue. I'd just use some tough love. Put her in her crate, toss in a bunch of small treats, and give her something like a stuffed kong or bully stick. I liked softened my pup's food in water, mix in some yogurt, stuff it in a kong and freeze it. Let her chill in there after she's been out to potty and exercise while you do something else around the house. I bet after some whining she will fall asleep. My pups also get their meals in their crate and hang out in there for a little while after that since I don't like them running about right after eating.

An ex-pen could work, but they have to respect them and not jump up on them since they can be knocked over or moved about. If she is jumping at baby gates she likely would just knock and ex-pen right over or climb out.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:21 AM

Not sure what type of crate you have, but I have a large metal kennel style crate. I covered it with a blanket to make it more like a den. I leave the bottom half uncovered on each end where the pup can see out.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

We tried a crate like that's because that's what we used for our other dog but she would chew the door while we were away and she chipped her tooth so I bought a crate that she couldn't fit her snout through... I tried the frozen kong with treats she didn't even touch it while she was in there today and that was recommended by our vet... I'm at a loss with this one but the vet said just give her tough love and she will figure it out
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Little update... been doing a lot of work over the weekend and it seems to be working... using treats and positive reactions when she enters the crate has hopefully eased her panic.. also we put the crate in our living room so she lays in it now with the gate open on her own and hasn't cried when I close the door for short incriments of time.. tomorrow will be the true test when She is back to being in the crate while we are at work. We are both so surprised with how smart our puppy is since she is learning very fast at such a young age (just turned 9 weeks today)
dogma13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page