Please help with some puppy potty training basics - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Magwart

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Please help with some puppy potty training basics

Hello everyone,

So I did a lot of research prior to getting my GSD puppy. He's a great dog, and we are making progress with some things (crate training, sit/let go/come), but I am hitting a roadblock with potty training.

Everything I read says to be consistent and make a routine. I am trying this, but it is not working. He knows that outside is a potty place, and when I take him he pees almost instantly (takes a few minutes to poop, but that's okay). I take him outside first thing in the morning, about half an hour after meals, and roughly every two hours for the rest of the day, once more before crating at night, and again at about 2:30 in the morning.

Like I said, this is not working. He goes when we go out (and I do give him enough time, praise only after he has finished and walked away, etc.), but he also goes basically whenever he wants to once we get inside. He has had an accident almost every day now. Right now we are going outside about every two hours, plus any additional accidents he has in the house.

I'm not mad at the dog, and I know there is something I can be doing to make him more successful. But I'm really not sure what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Deb
Knighted Member

I'd step up how often you're taking him out. If he's not able to hold it for two hours then take him out every hour. If that doesn't work then every thirty minutes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

How old is he and how long have you had him?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

He is about 8 weeks old. We've had him for a few days.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

We just had a mega-thread on potty training a few days ago, and there's a lot in there that will help:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...rstanding.html

It's not just about time (though it matters). They also need to go after waking up (even naps), after playing, etc. Then there's the matter of keeping the pup on-leash in the house so that it can't wander off and do stuff, and so that you'll notice it sniffing and high-tail it outside before it can let go.
Cassidy's Mom and Dainerra like this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 12:50 AM
Elite Member

puppies go potty alot!
Take him out when he first wakes up from sleeping ( even a short cat nap), after they eat or drink ( NOT 30 mins later) , after playing, and then after 30 mins of just being awake... a 8 week old puppy has a micro bladder! Then put him on a leash so you know where he is at all times and the SECOND he starts to sniff/circle, OUT YOU GO! Its a 24x7 job !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page