Impulse Control Training Ideas - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Impulse Control Training Ideas

What training do you do that serves as impulse control practice. I have cats that I need to teach pup impulse control with. Any structured training exercises would be appreciated doesn't have to involve cats. Just looking for training ideas. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 PM
Knighted Member

I am not sure how old your pup is and expectations do have to be in line with their age, but here are some of the things I do with Newlie. I adopted Newlie when he was around one or two and he is six or seven now. He still tends to be impulsive, but I think he is better than he might have been otherwise.

Most of the time, I have Newlie sit at meal times and I give him the "OK" to eat. Those who have puppy experience can tell you appropriate time intervals to make your pup wait, but if he is very young, I think even 15-20 seconds might be reasonable. You always want to try to set them up to succeed.

I put Newlie in a "down" sometimes and pitch a ball down so it rolls just a couple of feet in front of him. I am near him, so if he starts to get up, I remind him with a "eh." If he stays down, I tell him he is a good boy. Then , I start pitching the ball further away so it rolls more. Newlie loves to chase things, so it's very hard for him not to chase them, but usually after the first reminder, he does pretty good.

When we play tug, I periodically yell "off" and he has to let go of the tug and sit down.

When we play hide and seek, he has to wait in a down for me in the kitchen until I holler "Find me."

I also scatter some kibble on the floor and he has to wait for me to release him to go vacuum it up.

Sometimes, I put a ball in the middle of the hallway and position him at one end and me at the other. He has to wait for me to say the word "Go' before he can race me to the ball. I string it out, too, "On your mark, get ready, get set, one, two three, who's going to win this race, etc, etc and finally "GO!" Of course, he could beat me to the ball if he only had one leg.

Newlie also has to wait for me to get in bed before he jumps up. Part of this is because if he gets up first, I will have like one inch of space.

I have found that Newlie listens a lot better if I have eye contact with him. He reminds me of the dog in that animated movie "UP" who breaks off in the middle of most conversation to yell "SQUIRREL" I use the word "eyes" if I want him to look at me.

Last edited by newlie; 07-13-2017 at 11:39 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Exactly the kind of fun interactive training ideas I was hoping for! Awesome and thank you for sharing. Hope the post gets more.
Pup is just shy of 6 months and brilliant, me not so brilliant LOL.
Super helpful thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:26 AM

"Newlie also has to wait for me to get in bed before he jumps up. Part of this is because if he gets up first, I will have like one inch of space."

I cracked up!!! Same boat here. The not so little guy anymore would jump on the bed and spread every inch of his body out

Blitz(first GSD)- 7/1/2016
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:41 AM
Elite Member

When we play hide and seek, he has to wait in a down for me in the kitchen until I holler "Find me."

This made me chuckle. I play 'Find It' with Nitro. When we first started playing, I would put him in a sit and then hide the object. Being a smart dog, he figured if he peeped, he could "Find It' faster. I fixed that by putting him in a stay. Being a dog, he doesn't grasp the concept of cheating :-D
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 AM
Knighted Member

Hahahaha! They are something else, aren't they?

I just thought of a new one this morning. I am going to see if I can get him to stop when he is running away from me chasing a ball. This will be a hard one, but as other posts have suggested, it would be great for him to know a command like that if at some point he gets loose and is heading for a street, for example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page