Puppy Potty/Crate Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jbgarner12

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Potty/Crate Training

Hi,

I am a first time GSD owner. I have owned several other dog breeds, but never a GSD, and never a puppy as young as this one. I have a sweet 5 week, 3 day old pup named Chloe. Today is my 2nd day with the pup. On the first day, the breeder gave her the second round of shots. She was lively and playful the first night. She ate at about 7pm, and I crated her for about 10 minutes after. Took her out to go potty, and she wouldn't pee or poo outside. We walked around in the grass in the back yard for 5-10 minutes, then came back inside. She ran straight to her crate and went poo immediately.

The first night I crated her and slept in the living room near her crate. She woke me up at about 3am crying so I took her out. Same result as earlier. She wandered the backyard for 5-10 min, came inside and peed in her crate instantly. She wakes up at 7am so I take her out. I made a point to stay outside for about 20 minutes this time. For the first 10, I tried to ignore her and see if she would go potty...nothing. So then I played with her for a bit, she chased me around the yard. I hope that this would make her need to potty...nothing. I bring her inside and she poos in the crate almost instantly.

She loves her crate and goes into it on her own. I cannot understand why she will only use the bathroom in the crate. The breeder had her and her 5 brothers/sisters in an elevated plywood pen outside, so they all used the bathroom in the same pen that they lived in. Could that be the cause of it? Could this be a hangover of the shots yesterday?

Also, on the second day, she refused to eat breakfast. I took it up and tried again around lunch. Still nothing. I have tried to give her small treats that I gave her yesterday (she took them quickly and greedily yesterday) and she wouldn't touch them. Even put a piece of chicken in front of her and she wouldn't touch it. All day today, she has just wanted to sleep.

Is this normal behavior for a 5 week GSD puppy? I'm at a loss and wondering what's going on the the sweet girl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2322.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	429162  
Mary Beth likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

she's a sweetie and so very young. Yes, i agree with you that the breeder keeping all the puppies in the elevated plywood pen and then having them all go to the pottty in that pen has caused her to hold it and only go in her crate. I would think that it in her case it may be better to not use a crate at all. Keep her tethered to you so you can catch any accidents. To get her to go outside, maybe a kennel or an X pen will work or a open box somewhat like the breeder used. If you still want to use a crate, I also wonder if the crate you are using is too big - if you can get a small one or make it smaller with boxes then she will only have room to sleep and no room to potty that may work. Then put her outside in the bigger contained area for her to use as a potty. I would also recommend that you take her to the vet for a checkup and mention the lack of appetite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

I have not put her in her crate at all today. She has either been napping in my lap or at my side, or walking about with me. She finally potted outside 3 times this afternoon. But has also had 2-3 more accidents in the house. None of which were in the crate. They were in the living room, with no warning whatsoever. She would be playing and all of a sudden just pop a squat. I would rush her outside but she was already done each time.

Still hasn't eaten a bite...no food or treats. So we are at 28 hours now since she last ate. She has been slowly drinking water throughout the day. I put the water up at 7pm today though, hoping to stop any more late night/early morning accidents.

Also, the crate I have is very large, but I have a divider sectioning it off. Her available area is about a foot and a half long by 3 feet long. Will try to crate her tonight again to see how she does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Now, Thursday morning, she still hasn't eaten. She's on 36 hours of refusing all foods, treats, and a piece of chicken again. I am going to take her to the vet this morning. I guess it could be a little doggy hangover from the shots, but I feel like at her age she doesn't need to go that long without eating. She is drinking water...but not a whole lot.

She FINALLY used the bathroom outside 3 or 4 times now. She has also had multiple accidents inside while playing. Completely out of nowhere. She goes from playing with me to squatting before I have time to do anything. I rushed her outside each time, but she had already finished.

She also continues to use the bathroom in the crate. I only put her in the crate overnight. All day yesterday she stayed attached to me with a leash or laying down near me. Woke up and took her out twice in the night to go outside, wouldn't go, but still peed in the crate twice.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:59 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe only play with her outside as being as she is so young she doesn't have much control. That's good you are taking her to the vet. I agree with you that is too long go without eating.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

I took her to the vet. Poor baby had worms. Vet has given her meds to hopefully fix that. He also gave me a canned, soft food to give her the next two days. He said that most pups will eat that even if they refuse to eat anything else, and that she needs to have something in her to help the meds flush her out.

She has been potting outside very well for me. I've gotten her on a consistent time schedule. Has helped tons.

My only issue now is the crate. She cries and whines and screams constantly when in the crate. And since she refuses to take foods and treats, I can't use that as a way to help her "like" the crate. Any suggestions?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

That's good news that it was only worms and her appetite should improve as she feels better. Congrats that you've got her to potty outside and on a schedule. That's interesting now that she doesn't like her crate whereas before she did. To get her to like her crate again, maybe you could try a toy. First take her outside to play and for a walk so she is tired and has had time to potty. Then take her inside and put her in her crate with her toy. Either leave the house or close the door of the room where she is, so she doesn't see you. She will whine, but don't give in. It may take 40 minutes (it did with my Sting) but she will eventually tire out and go to sleep. When she is quiet, then come back inside the room, and take her out of the crate. The next time should go easier.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page