Training Question-Attitude - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Apex1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Training Question-Attitude

Pup will be 5 months this week. I am a dog noob, got my pup from a BYB. I do have a trainer and will ask the trainer,but I like to see what people say and find what works best for us. Lots of respectable dog people here.

Pup loves to play will bring me his toys(finally) for us to play. He has off leash exercise every day and training every day. We are home most every day he has a wire crate for inclusion and airplane style crate for exclusion, plus an ex pen that will not survive much longer. In the home he is leashed all the time, no free roam and try to keep play calm in the home.

He pulls on the leash its annoying. He pulls a little less with a harness. I have started working to get him in the heel positon take a few steps, sit treat. I have also started (again, gave up b4) being a tree when he pulls or dropping the leash low and turning around so he is behind me 6’ leash (maybe I should try the 50’?) He really does not like it and decided to let me know loud and clear. He came up the leash, jumping and biting. It has been at least a month probably more since he has behaved like that. I know from past experiences pushing him off only makes it worse, commands do not help. So I calmly ignore and he sat. Next time I caught it before it happened and stepped on the leash so he could not jump, 3rd time was the same as the first. After each attempt we continued to train after the 3rd attempt he did 3 in a row pretty nice sit, heel, sit. I tried to keep it light, fun and not get frustrated feeling. He got lots of praise (he knew he did good), his treats and went for a fun off leash run. What would you do? If I stay persistent will this get better or is it time for a new approach? The only reason he stopped biting was because he chose to (good or bad??), what about when he chooses not to.

Back in the house he seems to be being bratty and pushy. Example asked to down and chew he refuses to down I make him he gets snappy. He just seems slightly less eager to please. I think someone is feeling very comfortable in his home! I did bite inhibition went pretty good helped ALOT at the time. Last night we were playing and my finger got pinched in his teeth, was actually my fault, BUT when I said ouch he did not stop, when usually he would, what a turd. Teething has flared up biting as well. I think it’s time he stops biting period?? Not sure how to do that…

I was initially opposed to prong collars,but I have changed my mind. Our trainer may suggest this idk. I just don’t think I am ready yet, he is still very much a puppy to me, but if the biting situation calls for a correction…..I don’t want to ever have him do this to me at 60#+(currently 36#). I would probably never trust him again if he did.
  • Was treated for hook worms a week after vaccinations(treatment was 6 days ago) - he has no problem playing like a wild animal
  • Is having a minor skin reaction. I don’t know the cause sees vet Friday.
I added pictures cause I just love everyone’s pictures! Thank you in advance for any and all input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AWE2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	428482  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:11 PM

Your trainer is your best resource since he can actually see you and your dog together and recommend the best strategy.A couple of thoughts for you to mull over...
He's teething and his mouth is super uncomfortable,therefore the biting resurgence.Frozen cloths or large frozen carrots will give him some relief.If you aren't able to redirect him to an acceptable toy,stop playing and give him something to chew by himself instead.It'll be over soon!
The loose leash walking sounds like you hit the nail on the head....you gave up too soon.What you were doing with very short sessions successfully is exactly right.Don't give up!Duration comes with time and patience.A few seconds will become a few minutes and so on.
Excellent idea to reward with off leash running!Rewarding with what he loves best is the best motivation.He may need more opportunities to run and trot around at his own pace to expend that puppy energy.It will help him to settle easier in the house.If he's not able to relax and settle indoors currently,I would keep crating him for the time being if that's what helps him get in "chill mode".
Just a few ideas for you that hopefully help

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thank you Dogma13! He will chill in the house after he has burnt the puppy energy thankfully! Having a good place for off leash running is the reason we survive the zoomies! Crazy pups! I am pretty sure he is not feeling well, he sees the vet today. He was vaccinated while he had hookworms, but didn't know he had hookworms until a week later
He was really itchy last night and took the same attitude towards training faster than the last time. It had been a busy day, he had lots of energy plus it had been pouring all day. We skipped work went and got covered in mud and soaking wet burnt that energy and he happily chewed his bully stick and rested in the house (between the scratching). I am going to get him well then try again. Hopefully he is just trying to tell me between the teeth and rash he has he just feels like crap and does not wanna work. Understandable. Just to much going on at the moment for me to decide that he is objecting 100%.
This morning he was biting at me out of excitement I said no bite and he grabbed a TOY! Making good choices dog!
Thanks for your time much appreciated.
dogma13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page