Pees right when Im at her crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By konathegsd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Question Pees right when Im at her crate

So I have a beautiful pup, she just hit 12 weeks this past weekend. I've had her for a month now and potty training hasn't been the worse but I just think it shouldn't be going on anymore. Yes, I understand she is only 3 months, accidents will happen; but at 8 weeks, she was already able to hold her pee for hours. I was following what everyone else said, take her out 15-30 mins after eating/drinking but she wouldn't go. So I increased the time and found at she was able to hold it for 4 hours before needing to go (timed when she started the pee dance). Now, she is able to hold it at least 9 hours while I'm away. The problem I have is, she doesn't start to pee until I walk up to her crate. I had her crate in the bedroom and moved it to the living room to be able to get out the door as fast as possible. I prepare the slip leash before I leave for work, again trying to cut any additional time. The leash is necessary because I live in an apartment, and she will end up going the first place that she stops. Her ears are already standing firm up so as soon as I unlock the door, I can hear her going crazy in the crate, and I even tried covering it so she couldn't see me coming up. I really don't know what else to try, I read somewhere to not make it the first thing I do, but she already holding it 9 hours, anymore is basically intentionally animal cruelty.

So crate training is not really the issue, she understands that she doesnt want to pee where she sleeps. But either goes as I'm walking up or putting the leash around her. Any suggestions please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Master Member

9 hours is a long time for a 12 week old pup. Not just to hold her bowels but it's just a lot of down time. So she's overly excited and that's, from the sounds of it, what's causing her to pee. Try to let her out a little sooner
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Master Member

You crate your 12 week old puppy for 9 hours? That's not ok. Do you have anyone who can come by and let her out ? I don't like crating my dogs for more than 5 hours.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Crowned Member

Shadow is almost 7 years old and crated from 1:15 to 11:30. I am not ok with that. I have someone stop and let her out for a pee and a stretch at about 7:30.
I would not ask or expect a pup under a year old to be crated for more then 4-5 hours at a stretch.
I get that people have dogs and jobs. But a puppy proofed room with secure barriers, water, food and safe toys is called for here.
By the time you get to her she is so frantic to get out she can't help herself.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:59 PM

Rule of thumb for pups is 1 hour of bladder hold control per month of age.

2 month old pup = 2 hours
3 month = 3 hr and so on

You need a different setup like potty pads with an exercise pen (which lead to other difficulties) but like others have said - you can't expect for a 3 month old pup to hold their bowels for 9+ hours. She's pissing the crate when you walk up because she's about to explode physically and emotionally.

I would consider putting some more money into making her comfortable for the time you're away (which is most of the day)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page