Pre shot restrictions??? help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Pre shot restrictions??? help

I have a 8 week old gsd and various people have told me I should keep her inside off the grass till aboue 16 weeks when she has all of her puppy shots. My Question is how true is these statements, and what are typical restrictions. My Breeder, as well as several people working at pet stores, tell me if i walk her to be sure to keep her on clean pavement, or in the house. I have seen several videos and pictures of puppies running in the grass, snow, and beach at ages that seem younger than 16 weeks. I have a gated house that I just moved into, and I am aware of the previous tenants having dogs. Should I be worried about letting her run around the yard, or do I wait for 16 weeks. Thanks in advance for any assistance on the matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 04:04 PM

I was told the same thing by my vet and breeders and experts. I walked my pup at 9 weeks very short walks pavement only. Took him to places where i though dogs had never been. Let kids and adults pet him.

He got very sick!!! he came down with dog influenza and kennel cough. Vet said could have came from many places including his puppy check at 8 weeks, he told me many diseases can last up to a year on pavement like parvo.

He is OK now but I lost 4 weeks of time with him and cost me plenty because of the issue, be careful if your pup has not had his/her vaccination.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Crowned Member

I let the puppy play in my fence yard. go to friends' homes who I trust to have clean yards and healthy dogs.
I avoid areas where unknown dogs walk or play. I don't put puppy on the pavement in public and most definitely not on the floor of a pet store or vet clinic.

That doesnt' mean that I don't take my puppy to those areas or not socialize to those environments. I simply carry the pup until shots are finished
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, maybe its better to be safe than sorry, and just stick to the previous advice given and just keep her on the pavement in our gated house, we do have a good size yard but we have only been staying there a couple weeks, and we are unsure of the condition of the older dogs who the previous tenant had on the premises
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page