training help - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Raisedbyshepherds

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

training help

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but Zelda is a very frustrating puppy to train!

I have been keeping training sessions short, about 5 minutes at a time several times a day. The problems I am having is first, she ignores me. With all the puppies I have trained I have always started with name association, I say their name and give a treat/dog food, normally by now (she is 13 weeks) all I would have to do is say the pups name and they would come running for the treat no matter what they are doing. Not Zelda, half the time I think she is deaf, I will say her name and she will continue with whatever she is doing, sometimes she will look at me, other times I wont even get that. So needless to say her recall is lacking.

She has sit, touch and down pretty well mastered, except for occasionally she will look at me like no thanks I did that already. I have been trying to work on getting her to sit at heel position (been watching Stonnie Dennis' videos) but she either swings her but around too far, sits too far back, or just lays down and refuses to follow the food lure, when I do get her in the right position she wont stay there unless I am constantly shoving food in her mouth, the second I have to reload she walks away She will follow me in the heel position for a few feet as long as I have a treat in my hand, otherwise she will wander away.

I know it has to be something I am doing wrong, maybe going to fast with training? I don't know but she seems to be bored with the commands she does know. I know she is still young but I watch these videos people post of their pups that are the same age or even younger and they are doing so much more advanced in their training than she is.

I also know I shouldn't complain but... she is pretty lazy. I was prepared for the crazy land shark puppy I kept reading about, and I got a lazy butt that would rather sleep. She doesn't even really like to play with toys much.

Any advise would be much appreciated!

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:11 PM

First, don't compare your pup to the pups you see in the videos. They post the ones that are all ready to work and play but never show you the ones who are more star gazers. It is kind of like comparing yourself to a photoshopped model selling make-up. You don't see the less than stellar side.

Maybe only play obedience games once or twice a day. The rest of the time should be short walks, goofing around in the yard, napping, etc. Your other work will be helping the pup simply learn the house rules and building your relationship. Relax for now and enjoy the your baby.
dogma13, sebrench and JessicaR like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:40 PM

People more experienced will chime in. I'm no trainer, but your pup sounds alot like a dog we had.
Right now you should probably be working more on building a good bond, and teaching her to focus on/understand you are the boss and you wont allow yourself to be ignored.
My old dog that sounded like yours from day one was the puppy that had no problem going off on her own to explore, unlike most pups who want to be right next to you. She also wasnt much for playing games and almost 0 interest in toys. She grew up to be a great dog btw. She had a little bit of a "hard" temperament and was quite serious minded. She wasnt attached at the hip as an adult, but wanted to be with us, she just didnt crave tons of affection and was happy just being within sight of us and watching over her yard/house etc.
That dog was very confident and outgoing, wouldnt take much @$!:# from other dogs, but kind of minded her own business mostly.
This was not a bad thing imo.
Yours maybe the same way. If thats the type of general personality your pup has, its just how she will be.
If I could go back in time I really would have kept her attached to me by leash more often, I think more than anything else.
The biggest part with this type of dog to me, if your dog is the kind I'm thinking of, is the free thinking. Less desire to please you, more about what she wants to do. So, it takes some extra persuasion to get her to understand that your orders need to be listened to. And she may not ever be the type to say how high when you tell her to leap.
I personally like this kind of dog. Less being up your but all the time, less needy, probably doesnt whine much if ever, and probably alot smarter than she lets on.....
JessicaR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page