First puppy, needing advice on training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By dogma13

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

First puppy, needing advice on training

So for Christmas we adopted a second dog, then a 5 month old sherpherd mix. He's now almost 11 months old. He gets along great with our 9 year old lab, and the lab likes having a brother. However I'm having problems with our shepherd specifically outside. He barks ferociously at every dog he sees, and starts pulling uncontrollably. I've read so many different points of views on this topic that I don't know how to approach it.

It was clear when we first adopted him that he was abused by his first owner. He was extremely malnourished, had a belly of parasites, and anytime I would raise my voice, he would instantly pee. We've overcome that, and he now views me as the leader and does everything I say, until he sees any other animal, and sometimes people. In the one situation where an unleashed dog ran up to us, he didn't bite, so I think the barking is out of fear if anything, but I worry that in another time maybe he would be aggressive so I've strayed away from virtually all socialization and I don't want it to be like that.

When something triggers him, he suddenly stops listening to me at all and I really need advice on how to deal with this, because he loves car rides and I'd love to be able to take him out with me any time I'm out running errands or just going for a stroll at the park. Any advice others could give would be amazing, and I'll gladly provide answers to any questions if needed. Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:02 PM

You're likely to get many points of view from folks here alsoNo matter what method you choose the most important part is the timing.Watch your dog and catch him BEFORE he goes off.Insist that he keep his attention on you and reward him with whatever is of high value to him.You are creating a new habit of him looking to you for direction as opposed to his old habit of barking to ward off the scary thing.
If you can get his attention with a sharp Eh!Look at me!Reward.Excellent!If not,a firm leash pop followed by eh,look at me,reward.
Nurse Bishop and KaiserAus like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
You're likely to get many points of view from folks here alsoNo matter what method you choose the most important part is the timing.Watch your dog and catch him BEFORE he goes off.Insist that he keep his attention on you and reward him with whatever is of high value to him.You are creating a new habit of him looking to you for direction as opposed to his old habit of barking to ward off the scary thing.
If you can get his attention with a sharp Eh!Look at me!Reward.Excellent!If not,a firm leash pop followed by eh,look at me,reward.
Well to start off, I'm having trouble finding "high value" rewards for him. He seems desensitized to a lot of things. Very low affection, low response to correction from the pronged collar I have that typically makes him walk well without distractions, and while he loves his peanut butter dog treats, everything goes out the window when he becomes distracted, even if i place a treat in closed hand in front of his nose while issuing a command during distraction phases. I definitely don't want to keep him on a pronged collar, but right now he seems so cold to virtually everything that I'm at a loss despite the dozens of blogs and vlogs that I read/watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:54 PM

Too light of pops with prong collars can actually amp dogs up more.Hopefully you can schedule a session with a trainer experienced with Gsds.An hour with a good trainer can demonstrate what is so difficult to express on an internet forum.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page