New Puppy! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cassidy's Mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Question New Puppy!

Hi all! I am getting a new puppy in late June and want to be as prepared as I can be training wise so I will not have the same behavioral issues I did with my last pup (RIP baby boy mommy misses you) This puppy was supposed to be a brother for our first dog but unfortunately he passed suddenly about a month ago to unknown circumstances :'( Are there any good training books anyone recommends? I have the following already: The Power Of Positive Training and Team Dog The Navy Seal Way. Are there any other book anyone recommends? Or tips? Our last dog started exhibiting signs of severe aggression around 7 months and tried to bite anyone that wasn't family. He also was a jumper and 75 lbs of a dog jumping on my sickly mother in law is just not OK in my book. Even though she said it was fine....It was not for me lol Any tips on how to curb play biting, aggression, and jumping? I want to be as prepared as I can be. Thank you in advance!

Rip Wyatt Earp 9/21/2015-4/8/2017
Gone from my side way too soon. You are forever in my heart. Mommy misses you with all her soul baby boy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 12:36 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Do you have access to good trainers/facilities? Reading books is great, I have tons of dog books, but they're no substitute for in person help, even if you already have training experience. That's what I'd be doing right now, while I waited for my new puppy - finding a place with group classes, ideally with a variety of different kinds. Start with basic obedience, but once you've got a solid foundation you could see what kind of activities or sports you might enjoy together.
dogma13 likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

That's a great idea! I know the Petsmart up the street from me has puppy classes. But from what my brother in law and sister in law told me, they are more of the basic sit, stay, lay down type classes and don't really go in depth with the training. I can't afford a good trainer but do you think they would talk with me about the basics I would have to do for free?

Gone from my side way too soon. You are forever in my heart. Mommy misses you with all her soul baby boy...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:02 AM

I don't know how people on here feel about him but I learned a lot about positive reinforcement training from Zac George on YouTube. He has hundreds of videos and they are free and in the 2 days my puppy has been home she will sit on command, looks at you when you call her name, and she started (last night) nosing her bells to go out.. these are her big achievements at 8 weeks! But it is WORK and I remember in your post about Wyatt's behavior issues, you didn't have adequate time to train him or play with him ( in the excessive amounts needed for a GSD) if memory serves me correctly? Do you have more time now that a few years have passed?

I am just curious because little puppy has me running all over the place keeping up with her and all the things she wants to chew and explore, then if I have her water bowl down, we have to go out every 20-30 mins whether she likes it or not so she isn't getting confused where pee happens. I guess my point is, no matter how free the information is you have to have the time to dedicate to training or you risk the same issues you had with Wyatt! You're gonna have to look at this as a part time job for a long while until your baby is a functioning adult. They don't know what we don't teach them!

With my pup, I literally have her on a leash 24/7 (except when she is playing with her KONG wobble feeder/toy) and she never leaves mine or my husbands side. Never. Not for a moment and if we can't be with her she's in the crate. She literally gets away with nothing right now. Except licking me in the face because I don't care if she does lol

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way, you are right"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dori View Post
I don't know how people on here feel about him but I learned a lot about positive reinforcement training from Zac George on YouTube. He has hundreds of videos and they are free and in the 2 days my puppy has been home she will sit on command, looks at you when you call her name, and she started (last night) nosing her bells to go out.. these are her big achievements at 8 weeks! But it is WORK and I remember in your post about Wyatt's behavior issues, you didn't have adequate time to train him or play with him ( in the excessive amounts needed for a GSD) if memory serves me correctly? Do you have more time now that a few years have passed?

I am just curious because little puppy has me running all over the place keeping up with her and all the things she wants to chew and explore, then if I have her water bowl down, we have to go out every 20-30 mins whether she likes it or not so she isn't getting confused where pee happens. I guess my point is, no matter how free the information is you have to have the time to dedicate to training or you risk the same issues you had with Wyatt! You're gonna have to look at this as a part time job for a long while until your baby is a functioning adult. They don't know what we don't teach them!

With my pup, I literally have her on a leash 24/7 (except when she is playing with her KONG wobble feeder/toy) and she never leaves mine or my husbands side. Never. Not for a moment and if we can't be with her she's in the crate. She literally gets away with nothing right now. Except licking me in the face because I don't care if she does lol

Yes I think another problem that I had with training Wyatt was that we got him when my daughter was barely 3 months old and I started watching another kid who was 2 months old to try and make some money on the side. So It was my fault I didn't train him that well because I took on more than I could handle at that point. Once I stopped watching the other kid and just focused on my daughter and Wyatt is when I started seeing improvement in his behavior. Now that my daughter is almost 2 and more independent, I have more time to dedicate to the new pup. I regret not stopping the baby sitting sooner and then I could have possibly trained Wyatt better and potentially kept him from chewing on that **** stick :'( I was thinking about doing that with the leash on the new pup constantly because i remember how much easier it was to get Wyatt's attention and train him rather than chasing him around everywhere lol Yes! I looked into the Zak George videos but i have heard mixed reactions to him. i so far think he is brilliant and will be implementing many of his suggestions when Rusty comes home. I am glad someone else on here likes him too lol

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I just re-read your reply...HOLY COW!!! Shes doing all that on day 2 of her being home with you guys?! That's incredible!!!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catjpowell91 View Post
Yes I think another problem that I had with training Wyatt was that we got him when my daughter was barely 3 months old and I started watching another kid who was 2 months old to try and make some money on the side. So It was my fault I didn't train him that well because I took on more than I could handle at that point. Once I stopped watching the other kid and just focused on my daughter and Wyatt is when I started seeing improvement in his behavior. Now that my daughter is almost 2 and more independent, I have more time to dedicate to the new pup. I regret not stopping the baby sitting sooner and then I could have possibly trained Wyatt better and potentially kept him from chewing on that **** stick :'( I was thinking about doing that with the leash on the new pup constantly because i remember how much easier it was to get Wyatt's attention and train him rather than chasing him around everywhere lol Yes! I looked into the Zak George videos but i have heard mixed reactions to him. i so far think he is brilliant and will be implementing many of his suggestions when Rusty comes home. I am glad someone else on here likes him too lol
Quote:
I just re-read your reply...HOLY COW!!! Shes doing all that on day 2 of her being home with you guys?! That's incredible!!!
Yeah it sounds like you had quite a lot on your plate at the time! Glad this time will be easier for you. As far as Zac George do you know what it is people don't like about his methods? I haven't seen anything yet, but I haven't searched him here. I just found his videos from following other videos people post here.. went down the "rabbit hole" with training videos lol..

With sit, I did that by capturing because my girl loves to sit anyway so I am not 100% that she "knows" but she does sit when I tell her too.. soooo if she doesn't know now, she will shortly. Its the same with nosing the bells. I don't think she knows its because she needs to go potty, I just think she does it because she knows when they ring the door opens and she can go tear up grass She looks at me in my face when I say Willow..but she doesn't come or anything. but those are the 3 I am really working on right now..

I figure they are the easier things that wont stress her out more than this whole fiasco ( comin home) has been thus far. She really is an amazing puppy.. I am so happy with her..

I'm excited to see your new pup! Is he/she another GSD?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah it sounds like you had quite a lot on your plate at the time! Glad this time will be easier for you. As far as Zac George do you know what it is people don't like about his methods? I haven't seen anything yet, but I haven't searched him here. I just found his videos from following other videos people post here.. went down the "rabbit hole" with training videos lol..

With sit, I did that by capturing because my girl loves to sit anyway so I am not 100% that she "knows" but she does sit when I tell her too.. soooo if she doesn't know now, she will shortly. Its the same with nosing the bells. I don't think she knows its because she needs to go potty, I just think she does it because she knows when they ring the door opens and she can go tear up grass She looks at me in my face when I say Willow..but she doesn't come or anything. but those are the 3 I am really working on right now..

I figure they are the easier things that wont stress her out more than this whole fiasco ( comin home) has been thus far. She really is an amazing puppy.. I am so happy with her..

I'm excited to see your new pup! Is he/she another GSD?

Yes he is going to be a black and red male pup that we are going to name Rusty We are getting him from a nice Amish family. I know some people say they mostly run puppy mills but from everything I have asked the owner of the dam and sire he has answered beyond expectations. He really is invested in the dogs and imported the parents from Germany as well as trained them for their SchH3 titles and IPO1 titles. Oh my gosh I love her name!!!! I have heard that people don't like him because he does things that might have the dog have dominance issues (ie: letting them up on the furniture, sitting on your lap, he discredits the pack mentality of dogs, etc.) But everything I have watched of his lessons on youtube (I think I am barely even an 8th of the way through the puppy playlist lol) I have not seen anything about what the others are talking about.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Yes he is going to be a black and red male pup that we are going to name Rusty We are getting him from a nice Amish family. I know some people say they mostly run puppy mills but from everything I have asked the owner of the dam and sire he has answered beyond expectations. He really is invested in the dogs and imported the parents from Germany as well as trained them for their SchH3 titles and IPO1 titles. Oh my gosh I love her name!!!! I have heard that people don't like him because he does things that might have the dog have dominance issues (ie: letting them up on the furniture, sitting on your lap, he discredits the pack mentality of dogs, etc.) But everything I have watched of his lessons on youtube (I think I am barely even an 8th of the way through the puppy playlist lol) I have not seen anything about what the others are talking about.
Aww well I am super excited to see him when you get him! I didn't get to pick my puppy as she was the last of the litter and I put down the last deposit. So I didn't know who my puppy was for 8 whole weeks! Still didn't know until I showed up to take her home! I didn't care though because she was part of a litter of 4 and aesthetically speaking, they were all perfect. I am not sure why no one picked my puppy but I am glad they didn't , super happy with her.

I guess people can agree to disagree when it comes to how their animals are raised (just like children), I've heard the whole "pack mentality" thing doesn't apply to dogs from several different sources.. personally, my animals are family and I treat them as such and I've never had a dominance issue with a dog that got on the furniture or sitting in my lap lol. I really think people should stop blaming dogs for how the dog acts and start looking at themselves for how they raise them.

The sweetest dogs I know are those who are treated like a family member and not like an object or accessory. I believe a dog knows when they are loved and accepted. That's just an opinion though.. so whatever that's worth lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page