Potty training my weird pup .... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Cassidy's Mom
  • 1 Post By Dunkirk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Potty training my weird pup ....

I recently got an 11 week old GSD on the 20th of last month.
We had days where he had 0 accidents but lately it's seeming like he has no interest in going outside.
I take him out every few hours, sometimes he goes right away but most of the time now he won't even get out the door without me pushing, pulling or picking him up. Once he's outside he'll just lie down on the porch or, when I get him of the porch, the grass.
He seems more interested in eating grass, dirt, digging, laying down or just staring off into space (I'm sure he hears something but might as well be space lol)
I don't keep him leashed to me and we don't kenal him. I just lock off all the other rooms and jeep him in the same one as me. A lot of times he has accidents right when I'm getting ready to take him outside (putting on shoes/jacket etc) or he'll wait until AFTER we get inside and go....to spite me... at least it feels that way.

Why does he do this lol. Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:00 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitaki View Post
Why does he do this lol.
Because he's a baby puppy with no attention span and very little bowel and bladder control.

If you got him on the 20th, you've had him less than 2 weeks. That is not very long to expect a baby to be able to:

1) recognize that he needs to go
2) understand that the only place he's supposed to go is outside
3) have enough advance notice that he needs to go
4) know how to alert you that he needs to go out

Until he knows that he's supposed to pee and poop outside rather than wherever he is at the moment the urge hits, you can't expect him to alert you that he needs to go out, so it's really a two part thing. In the meantime, you need to anticipate when he's going to need to go (after a nap, after a meal, after playing), and supervise him more closely at all times that he's not confined to a crate so you can quickly scoop him up and rush him out.
LeoRose, Femfa and BHoffman like this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Because he's a baby puppy with no attention span and very little bowel and bladder control.

If you got him on the 20th, you've had him less than 2 weeks. That is not very long to expect a baby to be able to:

1) recognize that he needs to go
2) understand that the only place he's supposed to go is outside
3) have enough advance notice that he needs to go
4) know how to alert you that he needs to go out

Until he knows that he's supposed to pee and poop outside rather than wherever he is at the moment the urge hits, you can't expect him to alert you that he needs to go out, so it's really a two part thing. In the meantime, you need to anticipate when he's going to need to go (after a nap, after a meal, after playing), and supervise him more closely at all times that he's not confined to a crate so you can quickly scoop him up and rush him out.
Oh I get why he has accidents I meant more why does he lay down and do everything BUT go potty when I do take him outside lol. I have to make him walk around with pulling on the leash, bending down to call his name etc sometimes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Sometimes if the dog likes it outside and you take them in as soon as they potty they learn to hold it when you take them out. Keep that in mind.

Here's how we did it. At 9 weeks with no prior training it took 2 days. After that we had a total of 4-5 accidents over 2 weeks and none since (he's 7 months now). It works.

1. Take the dog outside and say "go potty" over and over again. As soon as he goes praise him like crazy. Really make a big deal. Do this every time you go out.

2. Hang a bell of some type on your back door where anytime the dog nudges the door he'll ring the bell. We got Samson in December and used sleigh bells that hang from the knob.

Part 1 teaches the dog where to go, and even to go in command. That comes in handy because i can get him to pee before bed, before we go to a restaurant, or car ride, all on command whether he really needs to go or not. Part 2 gives the dog a mechanism for letting you know when he needs to go out.

Also, crating the dog for a few weeks will help this process. We did it for about a month. If he has an accident and you don't see it happening there is no point in correcting.

Try reading The Art of Raising a Puppy by The Monks of New Skete.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Master Member

I would also suggest getting a crate. It should be big enough that he can get up and turn around and nothing else. When you can supervise him he should be crated. He won't want to soil himself so we will hold it. If he continues pottying in the house it's going to slow your progress.

The key is to set him up for success. Crating prevents failure but the next step to provide opportunities to do the right thing.

When he wakes up, take him out. After he eats, take him out. After you play, take him out. Peeing outside = praise and yummy food.

As his brain and bladder mature he will get better.

Just remember: he can only be crated for so long...a general rule of thumb is to take the number of months in her age and add one
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 05:35 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitaki View Post
Oh I get why he has accidents I meant more why does he lay down and do everything BUT go potty when I do take him outside lol. I have to make him walk around with pulling on the leash, bending down to call his name etc sometimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Because he's a baby puppy with no attention span.....
Answered.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Elite Member

Are you using an enzyme based cleaner to clean up his accidents? Enzyme cleaning products break down the protein strands in the urine so the pup can't smell that he's peed in a spot previously.
Cassidy's Mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page