Can he learn by copying ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Can he learn by copying ?

I've taken my 9 weeks puppy to the beach a bunch of times and big dogs interact with him and smell him all over. Anyway, i ve seen how they respond to basic commands like. No!!!, stop, lay down, paw..
I ve wondered if my gsd would learn the command just by watching those dogs do it.. ? does that happen? It ll be easier if it does..
I've been able to teach him to fetch and sit cause those came quite naturally to him i just added the words lol..
Don't know why he responds to his name only when it's someone he knows calling. And even then he only responds like 8 out of 10 times.
Stay is hard but ther's progress.

"No" i used it so much i fear it's losing meanin i dont know how to make him understand that No means No!!!

Watched other puppies on youtube at his age mthey understand sleep.. paw i had no luck doing those. I m still stuck on the "No"

Ideas ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:02 AM
Crowned Member

read the book "how dogs think" Yes, they have learned that not only can dogs learn by watching other dogs but they can learn to solve by watching humans! Examples of that were: names of objects and how to solve simple mazes and puzzles. All by simply watching humans do it.

However, that is much more involved than just taking your dog to the beach and watching other dogs doing commands.

Yes, you can say "NO" so much that it loses all meaning. The key with young puppies is to set them up for success so that you don't have to keep saying no. If it's a constant thing, that shows a lack of management on the part of the humans.

He doesn't respond all the time because he's still learning his name. He only responds to people he knows using it because, again, he's still learning it and people he knows are trusted and he knows good things will happen if they are talking to him so he goes to see them.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

So how do i make the NO meaningful again?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad1 View Post
So how do i make the NO meaningful again?

Don't say "no" unless you can make it so. If you say no, you have to be ready to follow through no matter how hard it is, and it will be much harder if your dog is offleash.

You might do better introducing "leave it" as well, because if you have some different cues for different behaviors, you might have better luck. I only use "NO" if it is kind of a big deal, and I want the dog to basically freeze and await further instruction. "Leave it" will be don't sniff/eat that, but otherwise carry on with your life kind of thing.

But if you say "No" and the dog carries on with what they were doing it has lost its power---you must be prepared to immediately go to the dog and make whatever you wanted to happen happen. But if you are walking down your dog offleash, don't make the dog afraid of you or avoid you. If I walk a dog down for doing something bad, and they acknowledge me and acknowledge that they get it and aren't going to keep doing it then all pressure is off and they can carry on. If they turn themselves in to me with any appeasement behavior then there will be no more correction or discipline.

I think "No" has to start on leash and in closer quarters because if you have to hike across a dog beach to follow through on a "no", and did you say this is a puppy? scatter brain puppy has already done so many things by the time you get there the connection may be lost. An older dog with a clue, if I say no and then take one step toward them they basically give it up.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 AM
Crowned Member

I just went back and realized this is a 9 week old puppy? I would not even have it at a dog beach with adult dogs, it can't have finished its shots, plus not all adults are tolerant of little puppies. Sounds dangerous.

Stay home and work on teaching some stuff in your house/yard, reward reward reward every little thing the puppy does that you like.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

I just wanted to socialize him cause i heard that if he stays in all the time he might grow up to be fearfull...
Also he stays near me all the time.. follows me arround like a shadow... when i get far he comes back running even if distracted.. no leash required yet!
and so far I've only come across pet dogs not strays, their owners are there to reassure me that they're just playing..

It's just the weird things like walking so close that i almost trip over him. Or puting almost anything he finds on the floor in his mouth. and ignoring when i say "No" which is frustrating..

But at least when i walk away and call him he takes his nose of the sand and comes running.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:11 AM

If you say NO, follow it with some kind of YES. Even children, if you tell them No without some other acceptable activity, will only stop for a moment and go back to the misbehavior (think of siblings in a back seat of a car). No, you cannot nip me, Yes, we can tug on the Wooba together. No, you cannot sit under my feet in the kitchen, Yes, if you sit in this special spot (I call it a yummy spot) you might get a treat. No, you cannot pee at the door, Yes, you can pee in the yard. No, you cannot chase the cat, Yes, you can cuddle with me. 

And by the way, enjoy that closeness that a puppy craves. Later on when you are training and want focus, you may wish you had even part of that attention. No, you cannot go meet that other dog, Yes, we can sit here and watch them go by. No, you can't pull me down the road, Yes if you are by my side we'll get moving again.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:29 AM
Crowned Member

evereybody thinks their dog "just wants to play" until your pup is in their mouth being shaken! NO dog parks - or beaches or what ever!!!! too easy to be hurt or catch a disease!

this is a BABY!!!! a little tiny practically newborn baby! your job is protect and nurture him, not demand things beyond his ability or to put him in harm's way.

slow down, back off, research imprinting puppies and start with that - short sessions, consistent requirements and let him grow up a bit!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad1 View Post
I just wanted to socialize him cause i heard that if he stays in all the time he might grow up to be fearfull...
Also he stays near me all the time.. follows me arround like a shadow... when i get far he comes back running even if distracted.. no leash required yet!
and so far I've only come across pet dogs not strays, their owners are there to reassure me that they're just playing..

It's just the weird things like walking so close that i almost trip over him. Or puting almost anything he finds on the floor in his mouth. and ignoring when i say "No" which is frustrating..

But at least when i walk away and call him he takes his nose of the sand and comes running.

That one line should strike fear in the hearts of all puppy owners. I have a fearful dog; with the training we have done I can easily tell you he is friendly - seconds later he would be Cujo showing just how much he hates other dogs and some people.

Unfortunately, to many dog owners just aren't aware of their dog's behavior, have no idea how to read body language and believe that simply because their dog ran up to another with head up, tail up and hard wagging means he is the friendliest thing. It is instead, a set up for a dog fight. For a pup the age and size of yours, you would be lucky to escape with just injuries to it.

This is a fantastic thread to read about socializing pups. You would be surprised at some of the conclusions and results. https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...alization.html
Sunsilver likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM

some food for thought (and a great blogger about dog behavior and training)
More Harm than Good: 3 Reasons Why I Never Socialize my Puppies | The Collared Scholar

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page