I am exhausted is this normal ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I am exhausted is this normal ?

Training this puppy is exhausting me. He is 12 weeks old and has already been to many places. Every day he comes to work with me and is exposed to cats and dogs, as well as new people. Hes been to more stores then I can count and also every fri and sat he hangs out at the cigar store with us. I do short training's many times a day.

I took him for a walk today , just around the block and OMG 10 mins i was as tired as if I had ran 5 miles. Most of the training sessions are like this. He just wants everything he sees... birds, papers, people, dogs , insects. I spend sooooo much time redirecting his focus to me , or just to "ignore" the other things. Redirecting him with treats, being excited trying to redirect and then praising, not to mention stooped over with said treat. I feel like im 100 years old.

Please tell me this gets better!
Cassidy's Mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

Wink

I am board and training 4 puppies about that age for the next two weeks plus 6 adults for the next 4. 1 puppy and 2 adults have horrible separation anxiety, plus I own 3 malinois.

You get no pity or sympathy from me. Drink a cup of concrete and harden up cupcake!
misfits and DutchKarin like this.

You will walk when it is time to walk
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Crowned Member

hahaha , griz said " I feel like im 100 years old" ---

see --- having a dog makes you live longer - or feel like you have lived longer , now which is it?

may be the pooch is getting too much stimulation
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...alization.html
Breaker's mom likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah exposure to stimulation without a teaching process or a language of agreement and disagreement to help shape how a puppy or dog responds to the stimulation is a very very bad idea.

You end up conditioning the dog to see you as irrelevant or worse yet an obstacle.
carmspack likes this.

You will walk when it is time to walk
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

Welcome to puppy hood. You should be tired; a sign that you put energy in that pup. Raising a GSD is not a piece of cake. What actually had you expected? A GSD pup is totally different from an old Golden Retriever.
Honestly with every pup I started with, I have pulled out my hair after the first week: what was I thinking about getting a new fluff ball? Like with a human infant, you put in the work and do whatever it takes.
You are talking about a cigar store: if you smoke, stop. It will give you health and energy.
Stick around, there are many here suffering along with you. But also many others though, have earned our rewards in the form of a wonderful adult GSD and are secretly grinning because we all have been therein this place and will return too, incl. me.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:24 PM

With Minka after trying a few walks with her we had to roll it back. She was similar. She'd jump and lunge at everything. If there was a bird she'd go berserk. Squirrels, cats, other dogs, and she would SCREAM and pull like a horse trying to great other people. So we just kept it to our yard and worked on lots of direction change and stopping. Random stuff that made her pay attention to me. If you don't have a yard, practice indoors if you need to. When she got that down we went to the least crowded track in town and walked, she did pretty good. Stepped up to the closer and more crowded one, she would still lunge, alert and pull towards many things/people, but not as often. She got old enough we started using a Herm Sprenger prong collar after properly introducing it to her. We sized it, make sure it was snug and high on her neck/just behind her head as it's supposed to be, rather than low on her neck/near the shoulders. She walks like a dream. Perfect heel position, never scents or pulls, never zig zags and automatically sits every single time we stop walking for any reason at all. There's never any pressure or tension on the leash, it hangs in the shape of a J. After the first few minutes of the first walk (she objected once or twice) with it was all gone. Now she's to the point where no matter the distractions we can drop the leash and she doesn't leave heel, still sits every time we stop without having to say a word to her. Doesn't matter what's going on nearby or even in the distance.

You'll get there. You just have to take baby steps. And if you think the pup has learned, step up. If it still exhibits problem behavior, step back and practice more. It's a process, and it's not always fun. But when things finally work and the puppy gets it, it feels incredible. Both you and the puppy will be proud and happy.

Torden
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 08:52 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

With all the work you're putting in now, I bet he's a lot better by the time he's 6 months old. That's about the time I start seeing a significant difference.

I love puppies and they're a ton of fun, but the dirty little secret that nobody tells you is that they are also a LOT of work. And even if you've had a puppy before but it's been a long time I think you really forget how much time and energy a puppy consumes. But yes - it will get better!
georgy girl likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

It takes me about two years to forget, just with my own kids. All are 2 years apart.
Nigel likes this.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:43 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
With all the work you're putting in now, I bet he's a lot better by the time he's 6 months old. That's about the time I start seeing a significant difference.

I love puppies and they're a ton of fun, but the dirty little secret that nobody tells you is that they are also a LOT of work. And even if you've had a puppy before but it's been a long time I think you really forget how much time and energy a puppy consumes. But yes - it will get better!
This.

I have a 9 year old GSD and just brought home a new pup. He's 10 weeks right now. I figured I'd be a pro because I'd done it all before. Holy crap, I forgot how much goes into it. Luckily, I'm avoiding the mistakes I made the first time around, but I'm sure I'll make new ones.

They're a trip, but all the time and effort pays off!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 12:31 AM

Scarlet is 8 months old, and I swear she'll be the death of me.
Cassidy's Mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page