Barking problem is getting bad.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Chip18

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Barking problem is getting bad..

My 4 month year old Juneau has a serious barking problem. When I take him on walks he never barks at people but whenever he sees another dog he starts barking like crazy. Whenever I take him to petsmart he barks at other dogs also. He has an older brother who is a pit/rottie at home who he loves and plays with all the time but yet when he sees a dog in public big or small he starts to bark. I've found that he barks more aggressively towards bigger dogs for some reason. I don't know if he is afraid but this has been going on for a while and I am not sure if I should socialize him more. He had a dog date with my friend's husky and the husky tried to play with him and nudged him a little and then my puppy slightly snapped and tried to bite my friend's husky. PLEASEEE does anyone know any training tips I can practice on walks at the park or the dog park to REDUCE and HELP stop my dog from barking so much. And also are there any videos that you guys recommend because I have searched on youtube but have found nothing too helpful in my opinion. I just want to stop this problem now because I do not want it going on when he is a much larger dog. PLEASE HELP AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	417017  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:42 AM
Banned

OK ... step one ... you have to get out of panic mode. You can't help your dog if your freaked out. You already taken the first step in solving your dog's issues. IE ... If I don't know the answer find someone that does.

I do see you've asked this question before ... and your still having problems?? I did not review in depth, your other threads but to give you full credit ... this time ... you detailed the problem clearly and also explained why "you" are having this problem ... still.

And just cuz I wanna ... if you want to find "trainers online" that can help you ... at the top of the list would be Jeff Gellman at ... "Solidk9Training" this guy.
Solid K9 Training aggressive dog rehab, dog anxiety - Rehabilitation and Family Dog Training

He has a Youtube page ...
https://www.youtube.com/user/SolidK9Training/playlists

And this year he is doing free 15 minute Skype sessions one a day for all of 2017 ... look to the colume on the right.

https://www.facebook.com/Solid-K9-Tr...0229622668254/

Number two and only becasue he does not have quite as high a media profile as Jeff, would be Larry Krohn this guy.:
Dog Training Bowling Green, KY, Nashville , TN, - PakMasters

and he also has a youtube page. :
https://www.youtube.com/user/lklencho

If you did nothing but study those guys, they have your answer already?? Or listen to Jeff's weekly Q&A and someone else may ask ... or go to his FB and submit a question and he may address you directly??

But ... that said and why you are having problems finding answers is becasue your query is just a little vague ie ... my dog barks to much???

So yeah ... I can see why searching for solutions for "my dog barks to much" ... would be a little tough! I'm pretty good at the finding trainers and information thing myself. But even I would find that question to be a little tough?? But ... to your credit ... in full on freak out mode ... you also outlined the problem you are having.

And frankly your problem is fairly simple. Step one ... is to "STOP" doing what you are currently doing! Stay out of the Dog Parks, stay out of Petco's! No more screwing around with other dogs period! You just ... flat skipped a step ... you kinda sorta skipped over, actually training your dog on how to deal with distractions and gone straight into "Proofing your dog with distractions. And it is thus far ... apparently a miserable fail???

So now you know, "Stop" doing that ... and start over. Walk your dog in a distraction free environment first! Do ... "Sit on the Dog" train "Place" ... show your dog ... how you want him to behave first ... and then take him to "Petco" or high Dog areas for "Proofing" and personally ... I'd stay out of freaking "Dog Parks" in anycase but that's another story.

At anyrate becasue I don't think I can better explain the "Walk" your dog thing, then I already did ... see here.:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...strangers.html

And as for training Place which you need to do and Sit on the Dog both of which train calmness into a dog ... see here.:
Fearful, Anxious or Flat Crazy "The Place CommanD - Boxer Forum : Boxer Breed Dog Forums

Walk your Dog, Train Place and do Sit on the Dog ... and stop doing what you are doing, give those things a shot for a week or two and I think you will find yourself in a much different place??

Right now you are actually "training your dog to bark at others dogs" and as you are discovering ... the more a dog gets to practice a behaviour ... "good or bad" the better at he becomes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page