getting puppy to focus - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

getting puppy to focus

We have had our puppy 5 days( he is 9 weeks old) and from day one, we have tried to teach him his name. I wanted to do clicker training so we have been clicking and treating and clicking and treating and clicking and treating. High value treats, like tiny niblets of chicken breast.
This is a WLGSD and his parents are both titled and while i haven't met them i saw their working videos and I know hes bred to work. He has zero interest in listening to anything we try to teach him, totally focus-less. UNLESS its the cat or the broom and then god himself couldn't take this puppy's attention away.

Also he used to follow me on the leash , now he refuses to follow me after 4 days of coming long nicely.Even with a lure of chicken or toy he doesn't want to follow me.

I'm so upset because i thought this puppy would be a snap to train, he was "independently evaluated " at 7 weeks for his placement and he was given scores that would indicate high handler focus and working ability.

what am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Crowned Member

What are you doing wrong?

Expecting WAY too much, way too fast.
Jax08, ausdland, Femfa and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
We have had our puppy 5 days( he is 9 weeks old) and from day one, we have tried to teach him his name. I wanted to do clicker training so we have been clicking and treating and clicking and treating and clicking and treating. High value treats, like tiny niblets of chicken breast.
This is a WLGSD and his parents are both titled and while i haven't met them i saw their working videos and I know hes bred to work. He has zero interest in listening to anything we try to teach him, totally focus-less. UNLESS its the cat or the broom and then god himself couldn't take this puppy's attention away.

Also he used to follow me on the leash , now he refuses to follow me after 4 days of coming long nicely.Even with a lure of chicken or toy he doesn't want to follow me.

I'm so upset because i thought this puppy would be a snap to train, he was "independently evaluated " at 7 weeks for his placement and he was given scores that would indicate high handler focus and working ability.

what am I doing wrong?
You are expecting too much out of a brand new puppy. Let him get used to you.
To teach his name make it fun. Throw a treat. As soon as he gets it, call him back by saying his name. Treat. Then do it again.
GypsyGhost likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

tell me what I can expect at this age then please. I haven't had a puppy in 17 years .
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:39 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
tell me what I can expect at this age then please. I haven't had a puppy in 17 years .
Not much.
squerly and sanjo like this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
You are expecting too much out of a brand new puppy. Let him get used to you.
To teach his name make it fun. Throw a treat. As soon as he gets it, call him back by saying his name. Treat. Then do it again.
thats what we are trying to do, with my husband and I sitting across from one another feet touching and calling his name with treats =zero interest in treats.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Elite Member

I think he's just so new. He might be more toy driven.

Snitches get stitches.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
You can expect him/her to chew on everything, steal your shoes, pee on the floor and generally have a good time at your expense. As for training, probably not much.
Solamar and semcat66 like this.

Jim
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Remember, this is a very young puppy. You can't expect more of him than you would of a baby human being.

At this age, all I try to do is make their life fun and work on house training. That's more than enough for a pup that age.

Play with him without any expectations and let him learn to love you. That's your job for now.

Let him move in and get comfortable with the household. You should have another 10+ years for training. Relax and enjoy your new family member.
Diegotxe, Femfa and semcat66 like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Master Member

Yep, agree with everyone else - we're hoping to bring a pup home soon too, but I keep reminding myself and my partner that we need to enjoy that time rather than focus on what the dog can or can't do.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page