Leash pulling - what equipment to use? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By JessicaR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Leash pulling - what equipment to use?

I have 5 months old puppy, we're going to puppy classes for about 3 weeks or so. I use a regular harness, but he's getting strong when he pulls. The most of the time at home and in classes he doesn't pull at all, but if he's very near the other dog or something else he finds exciting, he starts pulling like crazy. It's a bit easier to handle him if I attach the leash to the chest clip on the harness, but the instructor doesn't like it.

The instructor suggested half choke collar and I got one, unfortunately the first time I used it in puppy class was our first trip to the city. He was pretty much pulling all the time, seeing so many new things and having to walk in a line with other pups.
I felt really bad and I'm worried about his neck. He didn't choke at all - I didn't set the collar tight, but there is pretty much constant pressure on his neck.

I'm not sure about using the collar for now, what do you think? I think he'll get better with more socialization, but I don't want him to get used to pulling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Crowned Member

A flat collar, treats, a clicker and teach him to release to the pressure of the leash. Right now you are fighting opposition reflex.

OR you could use a prong collar. I would never use a harness.

But you need to teach your puppy Position first and then give it a command. Otherwise it's not clear to him and you are created conflict.
Julian G likes this.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training

Last edited by Jax08; 04-01-2017 at 04:56 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:43 PM

proper training > any tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

Exactly what Jax said. I couldn't get my puppy to stay 'with me' on leash walks so I started using a pinch collar at that age. I wouldn't use a harness, they are for pulling against which happens reflexively. Not a fan of choke collars either.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Master Member

Agree with the recommendations here. The only time I ever use a harness is when I'm doing serious running with my dog and I want her ahead of me and the leash taunt.

At around 6 months I started using a prong collar because she was getting really stubborn with pulling. Proper training with a prong collar does wonders and I haven't had to use it on her in years. Once you get the behavior corrected and start rewarding them for desired behavior they come around pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

MacKenzie - Workling Line Female (In Loving Memory)
Wolfram - West German Showline Male [SG1, CGC, DDN, CN, EN, IN, VN]
Bash - Working Line Puppy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Banned

At 5 months just a flat collar, treats and a clicker.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
But you need to teach your puppy Position first and then give it a command. Otherwise it's not clear to him and you are created conflict.
Hi. Could someone clarify what is meant by the quoted statement? Not sure what the "Position" is and what command would go along with it.

Thanks!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 03:55 PM

Biggest mistake i mde with previous dog was using a harness. It's like it taught her to pull harder.

With our current dog if he pulls we stop and don't go anywhere until he chills.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTuckie View Post
Hi. Could someone clarify what is meant by the quoted statement? Not sure what the "Position" is and what command would go along with it.

Thanks!
Position would be where you want the dog to be during your walk. Normally on your left side by your leg. I use lets go when I am just walking, which means you they don't have to walk in a "heel" position but they cant pull. I use Heel, for obedience only which that is the position where the dogs shoulder stays even with your left leg.
GSDTuckie likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:05 AM

A prong collar immediately fixed the issue for us. She's a 7 month old and VERY persistent on showing who's "boss" and loves to pull. It doesn't hurt them at all and she doesn't mind it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page