How to get puppy's attention when she's playing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

How to get puppy's attention when she's playing

I'm working on basic commands with my puppy, and she's getting very consistent with them. I'm now trying to up the ante and see how well she can do them with distractions around. She seems not to have much of an issue if the kids are playing with her, she'll break off when I call her name and once I have her attention, the commands are still solid. The problem I'm having is when she's playing with our other dog, when I call her name I get absolutely nothing. After a second call, the older dog thinks I'm calling him and he comes over, which of course drags the puppy over with him, not what I'm looking for though. What's the best way to train a puppy to break away from playing with another dog?

"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" -Voltaire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Knighted Member

You basically have to make yourself more desirable than playing with the other dog. Start off with the puppy alone. Call her over and give her a high value treat. Rub her neck or adjust a collar and let her go on her way. She will figure out that when you call her she's getting something really good. Have the kids help you. Once she gets the hang of it divide up and take turns calling her name and giving her treats. Eventually you will be able to phase out the treats and muscle memory / habit will take over and you will be able to call her off more distracting things like the other dog. I still occasionally give my dogs treats when I call them. It keeps them from getting complacent.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page