Best Training Books for Future Puppy Owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By coloradoshep18
  • 1 Post By WIBackpacker
  • 1 Post By coloradoshep18
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 29
Best Training Books for Future Puppy Owner

Hello,

Are there any specific GSD books that I should read before getting a puppy? Second time dog owner.

Thanks!
LBethO likes this.
coloradoshep18 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:34 PM
Member
 
SamsontheGSD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoshep18 View Post
Hello,

Are there any specific GSD books that I should read before getting a puppy? Second time dog owner.

Thanks!
I like 2 books by the Monks of New Skeet (the art of raising a puppy and how to be your dogs best friend). There is a tjird, devine canine, that I need to read. The booms aren't specific to GSDs, but the Monks raise GSDs, so the methods were developed specifically on our breed.

Their approach to potty training combined with a bell at our back door was a god send. It took 9 week old Samson 2 days before he was house broken.
SamsontheGSD is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Administrator
 
WIBackpacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,258
Some of my favorites -

"The Other End of the Leash" (McConnell, PhD) https://www.amazon.com/Other-End-Lea.../dp/034544678X

"Excel-Erated Learning" (Reid, PhD) https://www.amazon.com/Excel-Erated-...ng+by+pam+reid

Regardless of what you choose to do with your dog, these are SUCH good books. Well-researched, tons of valuable content, facts and not just opinions.

The chapters/info on body language alone makes them worth their purchase price.
LBethO likes this.
WIBackpacker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 06:24 PM
Elite Member
 
cloudpump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Lyons NY
Posts: 1,902
Kohler method of dog training for the philosophy not the actual techniques was suggested to me.

Snitches get stitches.
cloudpump is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudpump View Post
Kohler method of dog training for the philosophy not the actual techniques was suggested to me.
Thanks!
coloradoshep18 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
Some of my favorites -

"The Other End of the Leash" (McConnell, PhD) https://www.amazon.com/Other-End-Lea.../dp/034544678X

"Excel-Erated Learning" (Reid, PhD) https://www.amazon.com/Excel-Erated-...ng+by+pam+reid

Regardless of what you choose to do with your dog, these are SUCH good books. Well-researched, tons of valuable content, facts and not just opinions.

The chapters/info on body language alone makes them worth their purchase price.

Thank you!
LBethO likes this.
coloradoshep18 is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamsontheGSD View Post
I like 2 books by the Monks of New Skeet (the art of raising a puppy and how to be your dogs best friend). There is a tjird, devine canine, that I need to read. The booms aren't specific to GSDs, but the Monks raise GSDs, so the methods were developed specifically on our breed.

Their approach to potty training combined with a bell at our back door was a god send. It took 9 week old Samson 2 days before he was house broken.
Thanks!
coloradoshep18 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Junior Member
 
LBethO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 49
I had not had a puppy for a couple of decades. I didn't want one until we got the tourist, Lucy, who had no intentions of leaving. We estimate she was about 12 weeks old when she showed up. I have a 13 yo male Golden Retriever (best, no bad habits except barking dog ever), a 5 year old Golden female and a 6 yo female GSD, who was trained at one point in her life. The dogs all get along and they calmly sit and platz on command, except the deaf old guy.

I found the attached website that explained concepts and puppy level training introductions. The puppy is a fast learner but I have to say, it has affected the older dogs. They are all minding their P's and Q's! He talks about equipment(no judgements), correction, etc in a way I could understand and put into practice with the now 5 month old.

Need help training your dog? Learn all the best methods!

Love Mercy
LBethO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome