• 1 Post By Kazel
  • 1 Post By Chip18
  • 3 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By BigHemi45
  • 1 Post By Milliegsd

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Trying to stop barking at other dogs!!!

My puppy Juneau is almost 5 months old now. Back then when I would take him to the dog park he would aggressively bark at other dogs and would hide behind me. Mostly big dogs even though his older brother is a rottie/pit mix. The only dogs he rarely barked at were small dogs. Now that he is a little older he is a little less aggressive and doesn't bark immediately when he sees other dogs but he still barks a lot. What are some good training tips to help Juneau stop barking because I don't want him to always be barking at other dogs that frequently, especially when he gets older.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	413657  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 12:56 AM
Master Member

He could have been overstimulated and wanting to play? I can't really say how accurate that is though since I haven't met him/seen it.

That said what I do for barking is to redirect. I start going through commands like sit and lay down. Helps to get the focus off of the dog and onto me. You can also just 'trudge through' When he want to barks just keep walking and keep him close to your side. Don't let him stop to bark and just keep walking, maybe change directions a couple of times. It's worked for me to stop a dog from barking. That said somebody else may have some better ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your help!! I will definitely keep that in mind and practice that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
He could have been overstimulated and wanting to play? I can't really say how accurate that is though since I haven't met him/seen it.

That said what I do for barking is to redirect. I start going through commands like sit and lay down. Helps to get the focus off of the dog and onto me. You can also just 'trudge through' When he want to barks just keep walking and keep him close to your side. Don't let him stop to bark and just keep walking, maybe change directions a couple of times. It's worked for me to stop a dog from barking. That said somebody else may have some better ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:09 AM
Master Member

I'm happy to at least try and help, just keep in mind you might have to try a couple different methods until you find one that works. Thankfully there are tons of them out there, because unfortunately what works for one dog doesn't always work for another.
Leenlikeajolo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:23 AM
Banned

If he is barking at dogs and hiding behind you?? You really should not be taking him to the Dog Park. If he already has at least one doggie friend ... that's more than enough. So if you are still taking him to the Dog Park ... that needs to stop but I'm not sure you still are???
Milliegsd likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 08:38 AM

When my boy was a little older than that, I took him to obedience classes. It wasn't to teach him sit, stay, etc. He already knew that. It was to work him around other dogs and show him that he wasn't going to have an expectation of meeting and playing with them. It was good practice for him. He learned to be with other dogs and be calm. Is he perfect? No, but much better. Your youngster will be going through phases for the next few months. He'll be trying all kinds of things. Use the opportunities to show him what you don't want followed by what you do want. Don't let him practice unwanted behavior. It is always a learning experience. And above all do this calmly (easier said than done sometimes).

We also don't do dog parks with random strangers. Our dogs play together in a fenced in yard. Before that, I took him to dog parks when they were empty and we played together (we didn't have the she-pup then). On walks we do the "trudge through" like Kazel mentioned. I reward for good behavior after the fact. I found that there is no treat or toy that will hold my dog's attention when they really want to go meet / bark at another dog. If I don't have a treat I might sit my dog and let them watch the other dog from a distance IF they are doing it calmly.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for those tips! Yeah my pup knows sit, down, and basic knowledge but I do want to start getting him into obedience classes. I have found that my pup tends to bark more often at bigger dogs. When it comes to smaller dogs he barks for a little and then stops. Maybe I should hold back the socializing and not overwhelm him too much with other dogs? But thank you for sharing your experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
When my boy was a little older than that, I took him to obedience classes. It wasn't to teach him sit, stay, etc. He already knew that. It was to work him around other dogs and show him that he wasn't going to have an expectation of meeting and playing with them. It was good practice for him. He learned to be with other dogs and be calm. Is he perfect? No, but much better. Your youngster will be going through phases for the next few months. He'll be trying all kinds of things. Use the opportunities to show him what you don't want followed by what you do want. Don't let him practice unwanted behavior. It is always a learning experience. And above all do this calmly (easier said than done sometimes).

We also don't do dog parks with random strangers. Our dogs play together in a fenced in yard. Before that, I took him to dog parks when they were empty and we played together (we didn't have the she-pup then). On walks we do the "trudge through" like Kazel mentioned. I reward for good behavior after the fact. I found that there is no treat or toy that will hold my dog's attention when they really want to go meet / bark at another dog. If I don't have a treat I might sit my dog and let them watch the other dog from a distance IF they are doing it calmly.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 03:01 AM

I used the leave it command and just keep walking calmly my 5 month old. He ignores them for the most part now except for my neighbors 3 little toy dogs, I am quite certain he would like to toss them around a bit lol.
NewToGS likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:57 AM

Taking him to the dog park is not you socialize a dog. There are tons of threads and links on how to properly socialize your dog, I'd search for them on here! Look for a good structured obedience class. It's hard to tell why he could be barking without seeing it happen in person. He can learn to socialize in a good obedience class because he will be learning to ignore other dogs and remain neutral. He doesn't need dog "friends", you and your other dog are enough for him
I don't go to dog parks, my two play together or occasionally one on one with a well mannered stable dog that I know really well. I don't let them play with strange dogs because it is a huge risk to take.
Leenlikeajolo likes this.

Brooke
~Millie&Finn~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page