Obedience training verses puppy training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Obedience training verses puppy training

We have recently started obedience training with a breeder/trainer and it's one on one. However, I feel my 14 week old GSD definitely needs some socialization and sooner than later. The trainer said not to put him in a puppy class until we get through to him with obedience first. Just worried how long I should wait. He barks and acts crazy around other random dogs and even tries to bite at them. Any advice out there???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:57 AM
Crowned Member

Puppy classes over overrated. What does the trainer say about his barking? The trainer should answer your question. We can't see your dog.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 02:07 AM
Elite Member

They don't need to be socialized. Do yourself a favor and make yourself the center of his world. I wanted my puppy to be 'socialized' and it's been a lot of hard work trying to undo that. Draw his attention back to you then reward/praise/reassure. Be more interesting and fun than other dogs. It's a lot of work, but if he sees other dogs and people as neutral your life will be a lot easier.
Julian G likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Crowned Member

Most puppy classes are pretty large which can be overwhelming. I think puppy classes can be overrated also. There are others ways to socialize your pup. I found one on one puppy encounters less stressful or a walk with a dog that you know well. The challenge is knowing any pups. If your pup is barking at another pup or dog you will need to redirect with look at me or leave it. https://youtu.be/asVQYYSWPJc
https://youtu.be/9oo6tcSxWWg
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvShepherds View Post
Puppy classes over overrated. What does the trainer say about his barking? The trainer should answer your question. We can't see your dog.
I echo this. We did obedience classes and though there were other dogs in the class, we had one on one time as well and IMO it was more beneficial to myself(to be able to take away more from the trainer when working with her at home away from class), and for my dog(it was fun and a positive learning experience instead of an all-out free for all). I would trust a qualified trainer's advice on your questions, but again, go with your instincts as well and what you feel will BENEFIT you AND your dog the most. Good luck!
dogma13 and Ahamel13 like this.

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Thinking on it more now I can see where the puppy class would be overwhelming. Hes already past the basics also so any training there wouldnt be necessary. I'll def try interacting with dogs one on one that I know with family and friends. Thanks for the advice
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Knighted Member

I'm confused. Our puppy class was training. The expectations weren't high, but it was low level obedience training.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
I'm confused. Our puppy class was training. The expectations weren't high, but it was low level obedience training.
Ours too and it was great. Went through a trainer that does it for a living. Not Petco and what not. Class had about 8 puppies so she was able to spend time on problem (other dogs, not mine). She even organized Sunday "pack walks" downtown so they got used to lots of people, crossing traffic, going into stores, etc. At the end he took his STAR puppy test.
Breaker's mom likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahamel13 View Post
Thinking on it more now I can see where the puppy class would be overwhelming. Hes already past the basics also so any training there wouldnt be necessary. I'll def try interacting with dogs one on one that I know with family and friends. Thanks for the advice
The best way to socialize a pup is to never have him interact with other dogs and other people. Just walk by them like they're a piece of furniture or a tree or a car. Pups attentions shouldn't be on other dogs or people. You are the center of his universe.
Leerburg | Socializing Puppies a Pushy Puppy

I brought my pup around every dog and person thinking it was "socializing" her. Dead wrong, other dogs and dog owners can be stupid. There's the little white dog who barks and snapped at my pup, theres the un-fixed husky who tried to hump my pup, theres the dumb owner who reinforced my pup jumping on her, then the other owner who tried to feed my pup without my permission. I ended up with a dog aggressive dog who never really got over it, and she jumped on people well into her second year. Do yourself a favor and just treat other dogs and people like trees and lamp posts.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian G View Post
The best way to socialize a pup is to never have him interact with other dogs and other people. Just walk by them like they're a piece of furniture or a tree or a car. Pups attentions shouldn't be on other dogs or people. You are the center of his universe.
My idea of socialization would be better labeled "exposure." I believe in exposing my dogs to strange people and dogs as part of the world we inhabit. I don't want a fear biter, for example.

However, I personally don't believe in dogs socializing as in "hanging out" at the dog park. Humans live in societies, dogs live in packs. Human children have a need for friendship with children from other families, but wolves from one pack do not run off for playdates with wolves from other packs.

My family is my dog's "pack" in my opinion, and I like to keep it that way – but I do think it's important that my dog sees many people and dogs in passing, and learns that these are part of the world, and not to be attacked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page