7 Month Old Puppy won't stop barking at night, Help Please! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

7 Month Old Puppy won't stop barking at night, Help Please!

Hello everyone!

For the past month, we've been leaving our puppy out in the backyard at night without crating him and he's been awesome. Recently, he's been messing up the backyard at night (chewing on things, digging, etc.). So like everyone always recommends, crate him when he's not being supervised. He was always good in the crate. We have two crates, one wired one and another kennel one thats big enough to put his house in. Before, he didn't bark, whine, or anything. He would go in, lie down, and sleep.

Now that we're crating him because of his behavior, he is constantly barking at night only from 11pm-5am. I would ignore it for about an hour but see he keeps barking and whining. I have some mean neighbors so I know they're going to complain about him so I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help him. I can get him a bark collar but I'm trying to stay away from that. I've been training him to quiet but at night he'll be quiet for 30 mins then go back to barking.

Is there anything I can do to help fix this?! I know he's in the age of where he's being a butthead but I really don't know how to deal with this??

Last night, I moved him from his kennel to his crate inside and lied down with him for 30 mins until he fell asleep. As soon as I got up, he starting barking... I'm assuming separation anxiety but not sure??

Should I just let him keep barking at night and ignore him so I don't reinforce this bad habit or is there anything else I can do???

Thanks in advance everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:40 PM
Elite Member

try letting him sleep in the house. maybe a crate in your room. my dogs sleep in the bed with me at night and never barked.
zetti and Shooter like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

I second the crate in the bedroom.
zetti and Shooter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 PM

Me too.
Shooter likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 PM

I must agree with everyone else. Crate in the bedroom has worked very well for me. Plus I want my Shep to be my eyes and ears when I'm sleeping. The downside is the midnight gas that can raise the dead.
zetti, Diegotxe and giebel like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 12:48 AM
Master Member

Crates nearby people tend to work well. They also make bark boxes that emit a high frequency sound when the dog barks, however those don't always work the best since some dogs learn how to make noises that don't trigger the sound or just don't care about it and bark anyway.

You're best bet is to just completely ignore him in the crate though, and maybe put a blanket over it. If he learns that you'll come back even if it's just to quiet him down that'll keep his barking up. It may take awhile and he'll be annoying until then but you just have to persevere. Only bring him out of the crate if he is quiet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 01:22 AM

Is he crated in the house, or out in the yard?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 03:55 AM

Midnight Gas (lol) too funny . Thanks for that one. Puppy gas and senior dog breath almost deadlier than
bites
Shooter likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Banned

Bark Collar is usually recommended when the dog barks and there is no owner present?? If the dog is "barking" while you are there??? That's a bit different ... what's the deal???
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 01:25 AM
Crowned Member

It was a mistake to ever put the puppy outside. Agree that, at this point, it may be best to crate him in your room. My two are crated downstairs and remain quiet all night. I like them to be able to settle down, without me.

Good luck!

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page