Puppy training treats - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Puppy training treats

I'm curious what everyone uses as training treats for small puppies to make sure the puppy is rewarded for learning a cue but also doesn't fill up too much on treats. I've also considered using her food as a treat, at least for now since she loves it, but it's crunchy and I don't want to distract her during training. Thoughts?

"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" -Voltaire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 AM

I use milkbone trail mix. They are small and can be quickly eaten when training.

Tasha's Mom, Coleen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

Hi GPrime and WELCOME!

Real food has always worked best for our dogs.

*String cheese sliced and cut into tiny pieces

*Organic hot dogs (no chemicals added) cut in slices then into quarters. After slicing/cutting, you can put them on a few layers of paper towel in the microwave and cook for a minute or so to get out some of the grease.

*Quickly braised meats (less expensive cuts of steak, pork chops, lamb and calves liver) cut into very small pieces. Scissors are a great tool to do this with!

**After cutting the above, I place in snack size baggies, put baggies into a freezer baggie, place into the freezer and take one out as I need it. Takes a little time, but saves a lot of money and the dogs go crazy for them!

Watch for chemicals and un-named meats in store bought treats.

Moms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 10:13 AM
Crowned Member

Ooops!

Forgot to say to cut off all fat and remove bone (discard) before cooking the meat!

Here is my recipe.
EEEZY PEEZY HOMEMADE MEAT TREATS

Items needed:
Non Stick Fry Pan
Spritz of PAM or Olive Oil
Round Steak (or inexpensive cut of beef), or Pork Chops, or Lamb, or Goat, or Calves Liver
Scissors
1. Trim off all fat on the edges and in-between and if it has a round bone in it, remove that too.
2. Take a pair of scissors (outstanding tool for cutting meat) and cut the steak into manageable squares or rectangles.
3. Choose a fry pan (non stick works the easiest) that will hold the amount of steak you bought, and give the pan a small drop of oil or a quick spray of Pam/Olive Oil.
4. Heat the pan until really hot and drop in the steak pieces in to sizzle. Keep your heat high but don’t leave the pan unattended.
5. Sprinkle on a little garlic powder or garlic salt.
6. Let it sizzle for about a minute or two then flip over. Braise the other side (pour off the juice if there is too much) and remove from pan when the middle is pink. Place on to paper towel, blot and let cool.
7. Take your scissors and cut all of the meat in strips about ¼” wide. Now take those strips and cut small pieces about the size of a ½ of a dime, (or whatever size you prefer).
8. Place small amounts into sealable snack baggies, then place those baggies into a sealable freezer baggie and place in freezer. On the day you are going to training, take out one or two baggies, place them in the frig and they will be unthawed by the time you are ready for class that evening. Of course the dogs love them frozen too, if you forget! They will unthaw quickly in your pocket.

For calf’s liver, after it is unfrozen, soak up the excess blood with paper towel, and proceed starting with #3 as above (you won’t have to cut this first). Only braise the liver long enough on both sides (don’t thoroughly cook it) as it only needs to be cooked to a “medium” range, otherwise it will get crumbly. Drain the liquid during cooking if needed.

Moms
squerly likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Dog food rolls, cut into tiny pieces works too.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

i have the easiest treat recipe. go to petco, go to treat section, buy a bag of the smallest sized treats they have. i try for moist ones but you have to remember to close the bag good or they dry out.
Dori Ossmann likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Master Member

I use Nature's Variety Instinct Raw Boost Mixers. They're soft and can be broken up into smaller pieces.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Elite Member

Moist treats that break easily, string cheese, and chicken liver treats from country max. I like American made products. You can also dehydrate liver, or other fun meats, and fruits and veggies.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Crowned Member

I use dog treats but they are easy to run out so i use mostly use mozzarella sticks and cut them in small pieces and hotdogs- they have all kinds of hot dogs organic - turkey hot dogs or anything we have in the house -chicken cut up in pieces.

Last edited by Jenny720; 03-06-2017 at 01:48 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Elite Member

Uncured beef hot dogs=high value but greasy hands.
String cheese cut up into little bites.
Currently using Natural Balance food rolls for training; it's not greasy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page