What you wish you knew when you got your pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By blackfinn
  • 2 Post By cdwoodcox
  • 1 Post By zetti

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

What you wish you knew when you got your pup

So I figured out the secret to puppy training with my last dog... constant supervision! It's so simple but so important. We had dogs when I was a kid and they got into all kinds of things. You hear about all these dogs with destructive behavior. When I got my first pup on my own, he was either in his crate or right beside me. He never chewed my stuff, had accidents in the house, got food off the counter. He never got the opportunity to learn that those things could be satisfying. It was awesome and made my life so much easier. I'm so glad I figured this out because it makes such a tremendous difference. Now as I'm about to add another pup to the family, I was wondering what other advice or pearls you guys have picked up along the way. My biggest goals will be working towards off leash reliability and having a dog that likes me better than chasing squirrels (these are things I'm working with my current dog to fix). Little fur babies are so malleable, so help me take advantage of this to get a happy, healthy, obedient, versatile little one. How can I better my relationship with my pup and set us up for success from the beginning?
zetti likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Knighted Member

Working on focus from the beginning. That and teaching them how to move their rear ends with out moving the rest of their body. The younger they start these the easier.
zetti and telavivgsd like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 04:53 PM
Elite Member

Actually, everything is going right with Raff. He's just an excellent puppy. If I could share a few things I've learned, mostly the hard way, over a few decades:

Start training the day you bring puppy home. Do it motivationally, with treats. If you really want to make it easy on yourself, choose a pup with high food drive. They're a dream to train. Train your basic commands, of course, but also words for "wait" and a special, happy, magic word for crate. With Raff, I use "treats!". His food drive is off the charts, so he hurls himself into his crate at full speed at the sound of the t word.

If you plan on doing IPO or other sport, you can't get with a good trainer too early. Puppy imprinting is crucial and that window shuts early.

Socialize! Even if you don't want your pup to be handled by strangers, get him out in the Big World, exposed to sights, sounds, different surfaces, objects like wheelchairs, walkers, bicycles, etc. Get creative. Pop an umbrella open in front of him. Of course, it's all subject to your vet giving you the ok to take him in public. I borrowed my neighbors toddlers to expose Raff to young children.

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head.
giebel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:16 AM

With my very first dog, ugh do I ever wish I had considered crate training! That and focus with socialization at an early age. So far (crossing fingers) Apollo is a good pup, we are just working hard at an early age on the focus department. I've definitely learned from my previous mistakes haha

Apollo; January 24th 2017
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Master Member

More about breeders. There's nothing wrong with my dog, but I might have waited, looked for a better breeder or likely adopted had I known more.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovich View Post
More about breeders. There's nothing wrong with my dog, but I might have waited, looked for a better breeder or likely adopted had I known more.

If I had known then - I would have RUN not walked away from one dog I bought - my whole life has been adversely affected by the bizarre animosity and persecution of a person I had the misfortune to buy a dog from....for over 16 years I have been hit over and over by 3rd and 4th hand hatred due to lies and BS....I wonder why I am even still in the breed given the grief I have been hit with over and over.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Elite Member

More time in a crate and loose leash walking on a flat collar, the second one is very hard with a high drive, bold, curious puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page