How do I get puppy to behave when I'm not home? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Galathiel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

How do I get puppy to behave when I'm not home?

So I will start by saying that Archer who is 15 weeks old, is very well behaved when I am home. He sits, downs, stays, leave it, rarely jumps or nips but offs very well when he does get excited. When I'm not home, his listening and behavioral skills are lacking with my wife. He jumps, mouths her arm and is just kind of crazy in general. Nothing terrible but behavior that needs correcting before he is a moose and it will be very difficult for her to control him. She has been unable to go through the training classes with him but I work him everyday at home. When she has time, I will hand the leash off to her and cover exactly what I am doing and what we did in training that week. Not like in the middle of the session but she will do the whole session for that day. It doesn't happen a lot and I'm thinking it may have something to do with him not listening to her. Should I schedule some private sessions with our trainer when my wife can do the whole class? He is an mostly an angel when I am around and we need to continue that behavior when I am not. Any ideas?

Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Knighted Member

No need to schedule private sessions. You can just show her yourself the basics. Her just walking him and going through some simple sit, down, stay commands a couple times a day or even once daily should be enough to get him to listen to her when you're not there. Also have her be the one to feed him. And make sure he sees her giving him the food in his bowl. She then makes him sit and releases to eat his food. Should be as same as that.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
No need to schedule private sessions. You can just show her yourself the basics. Her just walking him and going through some simple sit, down, stay commands a couple times a day or even once daily should be enough to get him to listen to her when you're not there. Also have her be the one to feed him. And make sure he sees her giving him the food in his bowl. She then makes him sit and releases to eat his food. Should be as same as that.
She feeds him breakfast in his crate every day. She does not have a lot of time to devote to working with him, but I guess we will need to fit it in where we can.

Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Knighted Member

The pup is only going to get bigger .. and become a teenager as well. If she wants to be able to control him, then she will have to invest time in him.
dogfaeries and SuperG like this.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Yea I figured she just probably needed to work him more. She is a very busy woman but we will have to fit it in when we can.

Archer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page