Training classes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Training classes?

This will be my first puppy that I'd like to enroll in training classes. I'm looking for basic obedience, nothing too fancy. I'd like him to be able to sit, down, stay, and like I said all the basic stuff on command. I'm willing to spend about 300-350 for this. I've been looking around and the courses are around 100, but I'm not sure if these classes are helpful. Like I said, I have never done this with any dog before. I wish I could afford higher end courses, but I'm sadly not able to do so. I found this one place near me, and want to enroll, but wanted to see some opinions. Will this be worth it? I will post a link. I am in Stockton Ca, so if anyone knows a good place near me, in my budget please don't be afraid to direct me there! Thank you! I am looking into the group class which is at 125 I believe.

https://www.canineculture.com/training.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 12:07 AM

I'm taking mine to a k9 kennel! I've been to petsmart classes before and they're just good for basic socialization. Half the time people don't know what they're doing.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:16 AM
Knighted Member

May be a little bit of a drive for you (not sure where the in IPO classes are taught) but Joel Monroe is down that way - Big Valley Dog Training. I have personally never worked with him, but know someone in Reno that drives to train with him.

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:32 AM
Knighted Member

I think that training classes are definitely worth it. I've had lots of puppies and pretty much know how to train basic obedience on my own, but I still take my dogs to classes for the first 1.5-2 years. I think it's a good place to socialize in a safe setting and proof your training (other dogs provide lots of distractions). Plus I find the classes fun and they help to motivate me to practice with my puppies at home. I'm not in your area, sorry I can't recommend any trainers or clubs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:36 AM

I've been taking my pup, Storm, to dog classes. We started in puppy kindergarten and are now in basic obedience.

As others have stated, some distractions in play AND a solid training environment are good foundational elements to drilling this stuff. My trainer holds some certifications and is authorized to administer the AKC Good Citizen test.

Definitely worth it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:43 AM

I'd say go for it. It's a good experience most of the time all around, especially if you continue to work on what you are going over in class at home. As others said, it will get you some experience with distractions - other dogs and people - if nothing else. We did it with our girl and it was a great experience. Good luck!!

Ghost - our first WGSD, parvo survivor, 9/30/16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page