Our first puppy. Lots of questions! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Solamar
  • 1 Post By squerly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Our first puppy. Lots of questions!

First, this site is awesome! I have been using Google search (### site:germanshepherds.com) for weeks now and have found so much excellent advice!

Our two sons are now early teens and finally won the battle for a dog. We've had ducks, geese, cats, turtles, snakes etc, but a puppy has brought it to a new level...

I think we got very lucky with an exceptional puppy. She is an import (Pink Paper) pup (13 weeks old) and both parents are schutzhund champs (IPO2 and IPO3). She sleeps through the night in her crate (in our bedroom) and is getting the hang of potty outside. She has Coccidia (treating with Ponazuril) which has made pooping a bit messier than planned

Questions -
She doesn't pee inside at all, unless I get her too excited when I come home (I'll work on ME). But she thinks it's OK to go poop upstairs in the boys rooms (blink your eyes and she's upstairs pooping). I think she doesn't consider upstairs part of "home". Any suggestions to get her to realize upstairs is not the potty spot? She is not a big fan of walks yet, but we take her out at least 8 times per day.

I'm struggling with nurturing and building bonds, vs. wanting to get training started and in the right direction. An example is walking - she pulls hard on the way home and I know soon she will be able to out power my wife and sons. I learned on this site the trick of stopping and taking a step backwards when she pulls, which seems to be slowly working, but it is making walks way less fun. She starts whimpering and just wants to go home... I'm worried if I let her pull it will solidify a bad habit. Should I chill and let her be a spaz (fun) puppy for a month and then get started training? Or is now the time to set a good foundation?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1363.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	404601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1354.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	404609  
lou76384 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:55 PM

I can't believe nobody answered this thread. Since this thread is 4+ months old I'm sure you've been told by now how cute this puppy is! But better late than never I guess, she's a doll!
Solamar likes this.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page