Taking up water bowl at night - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Taking up water bowl at night

Need some advice, we take up the water bowl around 9-930, and typically go out for last time and to bed around 11. Cooper is 10 wks and acts like he has been in the Sahara desert at night! It consumes him, he'll bite,growl, beg to go outside only to look for puddles, all in relation to water. We've tried ice cubes, which help for a bit, but then he's right back to a water crazed animal haha. Common logic says give him water, but I've also read to take it up at a certain time? Anything else I can try?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1484364598498.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	402370  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 11:39 PM
Crowned Member

He's cute! Try feeding him earlier and give him water then. He shouldn't need it after 9.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:11 AM

What time do you feed him dinner? do you feed kibble?

I noticed that my puppy drains much more water after eating kibble, but doesn't drink much when feeding him raw. So, if you feed your puppy kibble late at night, he may crave for water for the whole evening. Just a suggestion, try adding water to the kibble and feed him a little earlier in the evening.

I don't refill water after 9pm for mine, but I will give him a tiny bit of water before bed time.
Giovani likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:23 AM
Crowned Member

My pup would wake me up throughout the night. I would get up and head left to take him out and he would head right to the water bowl, drink and then go back to sleep. I was getting up either way.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:38 AM

Lucky for me, except for the first two nights after I got him, he doesn't wake me up even we are in the same room. I sometimes would get up in the middle of night for water or washroom, as long as I turn the light off when I return to bed, he will continue to sleep, won't bother me until I get up in the morning.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 04:18 AM
Crowned Member

I don't like taking water away. And if he is that crazed he's thirsty.
May be a medical issue may just be that he isn't getting enough fluids. All dogs should have ready access to cool clean water.
Nurse Bishop likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! He is on dry food, and typically eats around 7. Sitting here looking at it, I realize he typically works on a bully stick right before bed. I'm allready up once each night (right now actually), so I'll try leaving it out a little longer. I'd rather have a focused dog and have to get up a little earlier!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 08:54 AM

Just give him water. If he's so thirsty that he is biting and growling for water, any small benefit to potty training you may be getting from restricting water is not worth the stress he's going through . He's body is telling him that he's thirsty for a reason. Dry kibble adsorbs a lot of moisture in the stomach. At 10 weeks, I expected to wake up in the middle of the night to let my boy out. He was also always thirsty as a puppy too. Even though we never restricted water, he was pretty much potty trained in a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
My pup would wake me up throughout the night. I would get up and head left to take him out and he would head right to the water bowl, drink and then go back to sleep. I was getting up either way.
Lol, same here. We put a water bowl in the crate and he finally let us sleep through the night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopsTroop831 View Post
I realize he typically works on a bully stick right before bed.
Any dry treat like that is going to make him thirsty. Digestion of food in general requires water, that why they say in a survival situation not to eat unless you also have access to water. Food alone will speed dehydration, especially if its something dry like a bully stick that needs to reconstitute before it can be digested.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 09:27 AM

I have a water bottle on Tasha's crate so that she has access to water thru the night and when I'm not home.

Tasha's Mom, Coleen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopsTroop831 View Post
Sitting here looking at it, I realize he typically works on a bully stick right before bed.
I've noticed that my puppy will jump up and get a drink after chewing on her bully stick for awhile.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page