Advice needed on best type of lead and whistles! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By wolfy dog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Advice needed on best type of lead and whistles!

Hi All

Holly is just 4 months and we are walking her twice a day for about 45 mins, partly on the lead and partly off.

At the moment we have her in a harness but her current one won't last her for much longer so I was looking at getting her fitted properly with a more grown up one, however I have read and heard mixed things about harnesses in that they aren't very good for GSD's and only encourage pulling!

Holly wants to meet and greet every person and dog she meets so pulls a fair amount when she sees them. We have kept with a harness since we brought her home mainly on the advice of our vet at puppy class who said she didn't seem to like the lead but now she is bigger and training properly then I'm wondering if we need to make a switch. We used a normal lead with our last GSD but she wasn't sociable like Holly and would always stay close to us when passing people and dogs.

I'd also welcome some advice on whistles? Holly's recall is getting there but non existent when she spots a new potential doggy friend who may want to play! Its fine if the other dog is up for it and is walking in the same direction but we have difficulty getting her back to walk on with us! One of my doggy owner friends suggested trying a whistle to get her attention. Again I have never used one before so not sure whether its worth a go!

Any advice gratefully received!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:13 PM
Crowned Member

I doesn't matter what she likes; you need training material that works. For a pup, a regular flat collar and a six ft leash is all you need plus a brain on how to train.
Ditch the harness; if the leash attaches on the back it will only make her pull (think Huskies). If attached on the front, if can affect her skeletal growth if used to often.
get a good recall on her verbally and then add the whistle. I use a regular $2.00 referee whistle from a department store.
Hire a good trainer for the training part and consult your vet for health issues and preventive care. So far I never met a vet who also gave good training advice.
angelas and dogma13 like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Master Member

I use a training lead similar to this and it has worked very well with dogs who pull for me. It isn't a muzzle although I have had people think it is and they go quite a ways around me.
http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1wM1AJ...rk-Prevent.jpg

For recall just work on it a lot with lots of praise when she comes back to you. A whistle can be a good idea especially if the dog takes off and you lost your voice from say a cold. If your dog knows stay that can be a good recall excercise, make her stay and walk a fair distance away before calling her to you. Praise her if she is playing and she runs to check in with you or just randomly call her while she's playing and have her come over. This has worked very well for me in teaching Codi good recall. She'll come back even in the middle of a play run with her favorite dog friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page